Coolant lever warner

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by CDK, May 5, 2010.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Coolant level warner

The expansion tanks on my Bowman exhaust manifolds have a threaded hole for a temperature sensor which is too small for any level switch.

I want to be informed when the level drops; it does happen and because there is no visible leak I assume that under pressure some fluid disappears to the raw water section. To avoid having to lift the floor every now and then I came up with the following solution:

The sensors are the original plugs in which I drilled a small hole, pressed in a piece of RG-58 coax insulation sleeve and half of a tungsten welding electrode. These you cannot bend, but they break like glass.

The submerged tungsten provides a little over 200 mV against the alloy of the manifold. I feed that to a simple circuit comparing the input with a 100 mV reference; the current is almost zero, so the tungsten isn't eaten within the next 10 years.

If the level drops or the wire comes off, a LED lights and the buzzer in the engine bay draws my attention. The 1"x1" circuit including the LEDs I molded into a small module using some leftover resin from another project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. finnracing

finnracing Junior Member

CDK

Thanks for all your valuable input. Just a couple of questions. What transistor have you chosen in this design? Can this device be used to monitor water & fuel tanks?

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Any transistor (NPN) that can carry the buzzer's current will do; I used a 2N2222.

The principle applies to conducting (=ionized) liquids only. In a fuel tank it can be used to warn for water in the fuel.

4. finnracing

finnracing Junior Member

CDK

I cannot quite make out what you have attached to the back of the tungsten electrode & How have you attached it?

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Sorry finnracing, I forgot to mention that.
    Tungsten electrodes are a sintered material, you cannot solder a wire to it or crimp a terminal on it. So you need something with spring pressure.

I used nickel plated bronze terminals from Hirschmann (MBU-1) with a solder lug, they are part of a 1 mm contact program for test equipment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.