Electric propulsion for a sailboat

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by moisez, Feb 7, 2012.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i have a secret,,hehe,, i know a couple dudes who are about to come out with a kit for this.electric motor batteries, and a new way of charging them batteries without the sun.
    prices will start round $500.00.. its a whole new way of looking at electric motors for the small and midsize sail boats.. hehe ;)

2. moisez

moisez New Member

That sounds like great information. Can you steer us in the right direction so we know where to look for this new product/technology? Thanks, Jack

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

they are getting there patent in a few weeks, or should i say applying for it. i cant say much cause they asked me not to, but if you stay in contact with me i will scream the minute they say go. i have looked it over, and wow, i think its gonna be one of the biggest things to hit the boating world as the first oar lol ;)
    i am allowed to start a list for my friends to be put on as the first people to be able to get this product after they see it and see the results. so anyone wanting a first look and wanting after that anything else can message me. and i will be sure you know its available before all else has a chance. ;)

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

As soon as it is out let me know, or better yet have them post a systems explanation. I know a lot of people here are interested in this type of system, but havent seen anything worth buying yet.

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i wills.and i would never say it was "all that" if i wasnt sure. it is one of the best things i have seen anywhere,and ive seen alot of things lol

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I hope it doesn't turn out to use snake oil as a lubricant!

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

nope,, last time i checked they were using graphite powder,,,can also be used as a foundation on ya face ;)

8. Submarine Tom

Used to be popular in pencils too.

9. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I think using the heavy bats as keel ballast is the key here.

Just got to design a nice way to store 1/3-1/2 of boat's weight in a shoal draft keel in batteries.

Bats like to come in every changing array of shapes and sizes, so use sheets of lead to fill in gaps.

Yes, there are a few issues with possible flooding and venting, but nothing too 'deal breaking' IMO.

Two basic ways, as I see it.

1)top loading single piece 'part of the boat' keel/bat-pack

2)sealed detachable keel/bat-pack with only plus and minus cables coming out. It would take a haul out to service bats, or some 'drop pod and recover pod' operation.

10. Submarine Tom

I'd go with top loading 2.2 volt cells wired in series with two cables coming out.

The ones I've worked with are about 140 pounds each.

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

what about a wind generator and freewheel charging off the elec motor.

12. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i was cruising back to the mooring today listening to that bloody awfull 1 lung diesel, i was thinking how nice electric must be.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

electric generated from your (one-lung-diesel)... Oh how the wheels turn.... Right back to the start position...

14. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"i was cruising back to the mooring today listening to that bloody awfull 1 lung diesel, i was thinking how nice electric must be."

For a mile or two perhaps , but then its break out the oars!

Electric propulsion seems best on model boats, or cruise ships.

FF

15. Submarine Tom

moisez ,

I just reread your original post.

If you're considering the "keel/bat pack" idea, then the tall cells I'm referring to would be great. You could run five of them in series (11 volts) to an over-sized, inboard 12-volt motor, getting lower RPM's but not loosing any torque. Less heat loss and forget about the expensive, vulnerable speed controller, just reverse/off/forward. The prop could free wheel while under sail providing you get a non-cogging motor.

You could leave your solar panel(s) out 24/7 with a small, inexpensive charge controller/monitor to prevent over charging. It would also provide a low battery cutout to prevent over draining your battery. However, a digital volt meter should be observed to avoid this situation as you're suddenly without power which can be most unpleasant...

Fuse each cell with a terminal post fuse. That way you don't need any inline fuses and it's safer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.