Electric Propulsion Small Homemade Boat

Discussion in 'Electric Propulsion' started by Adam Kane, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Adam Kane

Adam Kane New Member

Hello all,

I am working on a small boat and looking for a motor/encoder to use. The boat will be about 45 lbs (total, including load). The design is a PVC frame hooked onto two inflatable life rafts.

Pololu - 6.3:1 Metal Gearmotor 37Dx65L mm 12V with 64 CPR Encoder (Helical Pinion) https://www.pololu.com/product/4757/specs

Will this motor be able to power my boat? I will need it to reach speeds of about 4ft/s, and it will be operating with a 12 V voltage source. It will only be tested in calm waters. I have not chosen a propellor to go with the motor, so pitch and diameter specifications can be adjusted.

I have tried to calculate if this will work, but there are so many variables that I am getting lost. Does anyone have experience with this type of application?

Thanks

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

12 Wats with an efficiency of ~50% plus a gearbox losses doesn't sound very powerful.

I failed to get any kind of idea what your boat is like. Can you post even a crude sketch? Also dimensions are crucial - length and weight especially.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.