FinX - Outboards that emulate natural aquatic creatures

Discussion in 'Electric Propulsion' started by kach22i, Feb 3, 2024.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

From what I can tell this pair of young Frenchmen have developed at least three different kind of propulsion systems that emulate natural aquatic creatures.

I have seen somewhat related attempts in creating sound for audio loudspeakers, but I'm pretty much awestruck, and even more awestruck they found the capital investors and are living the dream. Looks like they were inspired by or borrowed from medical device patents.

First found out about them at the New Atlas link below, includes Youtube videos.

Biomimetic electric outboard ditches propeller for fin-driven thrust
    Biomimetic electric outboard ditches propeller for fin-driven thrust https://newatlas.com/marine/finx-biomimetic-electric-outboard/

FinX: An alternative to propellers for boat propulsion
    FinX: An alternative to propellers for boat propulsion https://www.boatindustry.com/news/32791/finx-an-alternative-to-propellers-for-boat-propulsion
    FinX: 6 million euros for membrane outboard engines
    FinX: 6 million euros for membrane outboard engines https://www.boatindustry.com/news/41393/finx-6-million-euros-for-membrane-outboard-engines

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

It would be interesting to se a side by side study comparing it with traditional outboards.
    Although it is quite innovative, even novel, I can’t see this rippling fin concept having a very broad range of power settings?

3. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

Even though I watched about half of each video the first sentence told me all I needed to know. :rolleyes:
    Do they expect any of those concepts to take the place of even a small outboard on an 8' dingy?

4. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

It was pitched well enough to attract a substantial grant, that's all that seems to matter.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Angle investors initially as I understood it, followed by real investors. I missed the grant part I guess.

Flexible membranes are susceptible to fatigue - similar to hovercraft skirts, but the manatees will love you in return maybe.

6. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

I agree fully about being kinder to marine life. Since we began powering boats with rotating machines we have not given much consideration to the creatures that live in the water. Around that time the sailing craft that had been fairly friendly to marine life began to get faster and vertical foils became the norm, which wouldn't be a nice impact at 20 knots, and now we have doubled that speed and added horizontal foils, just in case there are schooling pelagics about.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.