1965 65’ Philip Rhodes Ketch

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Brian Hurst, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Brian Hurst

Brian Hurst New Member

We bought this vessel 3 years ago in West Vancouver BC, Canada. It was on the hard and suffering from neglect. At that time it was call Audacious. The boat was built by the Collier Boatyard in Montréal.

All the previous information was removed from the vessel so I’d appreciate if anyone has any info.

Attached Files:

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Brian.

I had to save a copy of the first photo and enlarge it to see her current name 'Timmies Run' - there is an 'Eh!' after the name - is this part of the name, or just an acknowledgement that she is Canadian?
    Is she aluminium? I cannot see any rust streaks anywhere, and the chafing strip on the bow and the hawseholes all look to be ally rather than stainless steel?

There is a bit about Philip Rhodes on Sailboat Data -
    https://sailboatdata.com/designer/rhodes-philip/
    Here they say "Most of the Rhodes material is archived at the Daniel S. Gregory Ships Plans Library, (Philip L. Rhodes Collection) Mystic Seaport Museum."
    It could be worthwhile contacting them to see if they have any info on Audacious?

Some more info here - Philip L. Rhodes Collection https://research.mysticseaport.org/coll/spcoll080/

@brian eiland (who is also on this forum) has mentioned a 65' Rhodes motorsailer called 'Sargasso' on Yacht Forums - scroll down to post #66.
    Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden | Page 4 - General Sailing Discussion | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats! https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/motor-sailers-by-philip-rhodes-john-alden.6710/page-4

She might be similar to Audacious / Timmie's Run perhaps?

BlueBell likes this.
  3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

She’s got a beautiful posterior!
    I can see the attraction, hopefully she’ll clean up nice and carry you in comfort for many years.

BlueBell likes this.
  4. Brian Hurst

Brian Hurst New Member

I have contacted the curator of the Philip Rhodes collection and never received a reply. She is a steel hull.

She is called Timmies-run Eh! since our last boat was Timmies-run and I didn’t want a Timmies-run 2. Would have preferred to keep the name Audacious but the broker let the registry lapse and it was snatched up.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

That is sad re how the Curator at Mystic Seaport never bothered to respond to you.
    Maybe try contacting them again? If your previous inquiry was by email, then it might have been missed unintentionally?
    Her hull looks in very good condition (from the outside) - did you have an ultrasound plate thickness survey carried out on the hull before you bought her, or was there a recent survey availabe to view?

I have to agree with KapnD re her beautiful posterior - that is very typical Rhodes!

6. Wattenmeer

Wattenmeer New Member

Hello Brian,
    as strange as it may seem, but I am writing to you from Germany.
    I lived in Vancouver for 20 years, late eighties until early 2000s.
    I know this vessel very well, sailed on it myself with the owner and his spouse. He was a lawyer in Vancouver.
    The vessel was very well looked after, in top condition (mid nineties), also the boat travelled on long trips (to Hawaii and back).
    If you purchased this vessel - Congratulations ! I can't see anything wrong with it. Have pictures from those times . . . .
    If ever you read this message, please get back to me and I am more than happy to provide further details.
    Kind Regards,
    U.M. - Wattenmeer

BlueBell and bajansailor like this.

7. Brian Hurst

Brian Hurst New Member

It is great to hear back from someone who knows of this vessel. Most of the neglect came from the broker who purchased the boat and let his staff use it as an apartment. We continue to get great comments on her appearance.
    Would love if we could get any drawings or older photos. There was very little left on the vessel when we bought it and most of the work we’ve had to do is from scratch.
    Feel free to email me directly. Hursthome.bh@gmail.com

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.