Fugly boat

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by aktmboyd, Sep 4, 2014.

1. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Hello again to all. It has been a while since my last visit. What do you guy's think about building a full keel under this boat, turning it into an inboard diesel v-drive.

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I wondered, only momentarily, what that shack was doing inside the boat !

3. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

I guess some particulars are needed
    loa 22'
    lwl 21'
    beam at w/l 77"
    built from heavy FRP
    Usual powerment on these boats twin outboards, pic only shows one though.
    I am thinking a keel built down the full c/l line of the boat tapering from zero at the bow to a depth that will protect the prop and support the rudder similar to a downeaster just smaller in length. it might look a little funny due to the keel being a wedge from bow to stern rather then flat but hey it's ugly already so how can it get any worse. The boat has quit a bit of roll in rough water and I am thinking the added depth of the keel will help in making this boat more stable.

4. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

it's not a shack it's the previous owners dog house :)

5. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

I am wondering if an inboard gives any sort of bow lift? These boats run at a very bow down trim and need substantial engine weight in the rear to give the bow any sort of lift, the best running boat in this area has twin 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha's. If you look closely at the pic you can see the J built into it's ***. It is a very odd little hull, there is very little dead rise at the transom, has a J on the last outboard foot on port/starboard side of the hull, has about a 4' wide 5" long triangulated delta which is flat and the helm is at the extreme rear of the boat in factory trim due to it's fishing heritage. the hull is built by a company called Lake Winnipeg boat works and from what I am told is it was built in the mid 80's

6. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

what is a stern tube for and are they needed if a drive shaft is housed in the keel of a boat

7. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

I might be asking this in the wrong area but it applies to an inboard. Will a keel that is shaped from zero on the bottom of the bow to probably 1.5-2' at the stern create a positive lift at the stern creating even more of a bow down trim. I am confused :confused: It really doesn't take much to do that though.

8. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

You get the idea. Sorry for the crummy artist rendering

Attached Files:

9. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

More of what I want when done.

Attached Files:

10. Mr Efficiency

So what is the object of the exercise here, I recall you went through a jet-drive phase a while back, obviously that did not come to realisation.

11. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

lets just say I have heeded your words against the jet. and after coming back to reality the hull shape and boat type is not suitable for such a system as per what you had said. Plus after spending some time in some other people's boats of the same design there is quite a bit of roll. I believe you said if there was any sort of roll in a following sea the boat would be spooky well with twin outboards and their legs dragging in the water in a following sea the boats are definitely spooky. Now after that is out of our system's and I have an idea of what might be a much more appropriate drive of the boat any help on the idea of a full length keel.

12. Mr Efficiency

The thing helps protect your prop from those nightmare boulders, and will stop the boat dodging around in following seas, but you may be disappointed in the speed you get, due to the added weight, and the drag of that skeg.

13. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

I am wonder if a keel will give a positive lift at the stern while under power and compound the problem of a natural bow down running trim.

14. Mr Efficiency

I would not expect much lift from a narrow skeg, or at least lift that is biased toward the stern end, whatever lift there is will be largely countered by the extra weight of it.

15. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Ok then lets go the other way, will an inboard give a bow high trim? plus is there a scantling that places the prop on the bottom or is it more of a packaging constraint.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.