Electric Hull Designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by matt76, Sep 22, 2007.

1. matt76

matt76 Junior Member

lets try this again. im sure a lot has changed. good news is i have a bigger shop, which means i can make a longer hull.

2. Russ Kaiser

Russ Kaiser Exuberant Amateur

Wow, dusting off a 7 year old thread - I just read through most of it. Do you own the motor already, is that how you got started in this direction?

I'd say battery technology, at least from a cost perspective has changed quite a bit since 2007.

If you're not married to the aforementioned motor, Minn Kota makes some 200+ lb. thrust units that are made to mount on your gas outboard. Adapting a pair of these to a properly designed hull might must get it up on plane. They require 36 volts.

I'm interested in where you go with this. Going fast and quiet has a certain draw.

3. matt76

matt76 Junior Member

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I don't think it is. I mean its pretty BUT:

"The Edison Cruiser features twin high performance 9 in. DC motors, twin 1000 amp controllers, a 144v battery pack and twin propellers. That may seem like a whole lot of inboard motor for a boat just 17 feet long, but the Cruiser weighs in at only 840 pounds.

With the boat’s built in charger, the batteries can charge in 4-5 hours and be good for 8-10 hours at 5-7 mph. "

So you have 288 kw (385hp) of power yet you advertise the performance at 5-7mph. It tells exactly what that boat is about: pretty shape, decent high performance with high power and planing speed with ridiculously tiny range while using such power.

It is another proof that planing electric craft (beyond RC models) are not practical.