Inflatable boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by silenthunter, Jan 1, 2010.

1. silenthunter

silenthunter Junior Member

Is there anywhere to learn about how to make a inflatable boat?:confused:

I am wondering if anyone might have any info related to the construction of inflatable boats.

Thanks a lot:)
    Bruno.

Sorry, my english is bad.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

What goes up must come down. What inflates must deflate. Who wants a boat that deflates. Rubber duckies always wind up looking like old dirty underwear in a teenagers closet floor. One could always glue something onto one side of an inner tube. Old and some new inflatables actually have a purpose .. one can stuff them into a bag hop on an airplane that takes you to wonderful places but these new rib things don't seem to have a purpose other than being popular. And how they got popular I'll never know unless someone explains that to me. But as can be seen I'm a bit bias. Perhaps it's a bit like wearing a baseball cap backwards.

Easy Rider

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Hey silenthunter,

Welcome to the forum. Are you the newest member of the new year?

Unless you're escaping from a prison island, I can't imagine why you would

want to build your own inflatable.

Soooooo, why do you want to build your own?

-Tom

4. silenthunter

Honestly, I have all accessories and PVC materials at very low cost, but I do not know how to manufacture inflatable boats. I want to learn it.;)

Thanks

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Fair enough, thanks for the answer.

Sorry, I can't help you.

But if you build one, you'll very soon have lots of ideas how to build a better one.

Good luck.

-Tom

6. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

I agree with you on this one Easyrider.

These new ribs are getting ridiculous, Theres so much glass moulding on them, but yet they retain that little outer tube, thats no more an inflatable boat than Im the man in the moon.
    Why do people buy these bloody things. There was was one in a recent sportsboat magazine that is 65 ft long for F.... sake......

regards
    Justin

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I thought of making my own so it would be small, portable, pliable, repairable, etc and I'd know all the Glue and material that went into the device. Its a good idea and I'd bet everyone who ever wanted one has enjoyed the thought.

I finally bought one instead. It was great too. I had it for years.
    Eventually the sun caused the outer covering to come away from the inner laced cloth like structure. I got a good look at the real strength of a RIB.

Just last year on "How its made" a tv program, they went through a RIB factory. Very informative.

Unless you have a very unique problem to solve, you are much better off buying.

Just a thought! Make a set of waders first. Use them for awhle and then you'll know if you want to make a RIB.

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

It may be possible to build an inflatable by joining with adhesives of some sort....but the reliability might come into question. Commercially built inflatables use machinery that welds the material with RF waves. There are various brand names of such machines like Thermatron and K-Bar. The cost of such a machine makes it prohibitivly expensive for an individual to contemplate. You may be able to locate a firm that has the equipment needed. Try shops that specialize in large plastic items such as truck covers, tarpaulins, fumigation tents, and that sort of thing.

9. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Some advantages or high quality type- lighter weight, portability, lower cost, niche uses where nothing else will hold up (class IV river rapids, survival rafts). Solid boats have costly upkeep issues. Infatables are almost disposable. Better impact survival chances. Unless someone lives aboard, better to rent a hardboat the 3X? a year the average boat gets used.

Hope this helps.

Porta

10. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Porta, those are some of the reasons I bought a $1200 Metzler when I already had three other boats.
    Bears and Gators dont give a damn what you paid for your nice chewy boat though.
    I just dont think a guy can be happy without at least Five different boats! :)

11. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

"Unless you're escaping from a prison island, I can't imagine why you would

want to build your own inflatable.

Soooooo, why do you want to build your own?"

The urge to create often can't be justied on a purely rational or economic basis. I hope a little more "hands on" information comes to light on this thread.

12. Typhoon

Typhoon Senior Member

Inflatables make fantastic workboats when coming alongside expensive paint finishes is an issue.
    The initial cost of a RIB is higher than say a GRP or alloy hull, but once you've had to pay for a few repairs to other boats, due to hamfisted boat operators, the cost is more than made up.
    They also make excellent tenders if the tender must be launched via davit or crane, bumping down the side of the mothership is no problems for them.
    They only look dirty if left to get dirty, regular wasshing and a protectant keeps them looking great.
    Would I spend the extra to buy one as a pleasure boat? No. Too expensive and too little useable interior volume.
    But for a workboat/ tender, I'd buy one for sure.
    *edit* I should add I repaired an inflatable boat and put some PVC covers on the top parts of the tubes once, due to sun damage. I used a heavy PVC developed for the trucking industry and Sikaflex as the bonding agent. Worked brilliantly. It's easiest to work on repairs with the tubes fully inflated if you ever need to.

Regards, Andrew.

13. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

However, we pulled my inflatable up on a beach where the seagulls had been cracking clams forever.
    All those sharp edges shredded my boat.
    I had several punctures and one long rip.

I also landed on a Rocky beach in heavy surf with a dead motor.
    That might have ended the RIB's career right there.

There's all these pro's n' Con's but still I liked my RIB (metzler)

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

15. silenthunter

Finally, some one can help me? plans, ideas, contacts.

Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.