electric generator

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mortaz, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mortaz

mortaz Junior Member

Hi to all
    In my country the outboard motor is vary expansive and the service too due to I am thinking to do this. To fix a high torque and high RPM on the midsection and lower unit in other side to use a electric generator big one.
    My question is, can it’s be possible or is there any one done this.
    I really need unanswered for this or I have to keel myself to have the motor.

2. ShahriarTanveer

ShahriarTanveer Junior Member

I did not understand you. Do you want to use a generator in place of motor?

3. mortaz

mortaz Junior Member

Thanks Shahriar Tanveer for reply

What I mean is not to use batteries we can use electric generator unit in this way we can use bigger electric motor to get more HP and we can get many advantages on this way.

thanks again

4. mortaz

mortaz Junior Member

Excuse me gentlemen's

Do you think this idea is not worthiest to disuse bout it.
    Let's see what you have and what I have
    The alternator can do lots of things
    thanks again :confused:

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you trying to change a gas motor for an electric? The lower unit is rated for a maximum power regardless of whether it is gas or electric.

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Mortaz: Do you mean that you want to use an electric motor to drive the boat and a generator to provide electricity for the electric motor? That arrangement will work, but it is not an ideal way to do it. The generator must have some thing to turn it. A gasoline or diesel motor no doubt. The gasoline motor that turns the generator will have to be more powerful than the outboard motor that you might use instead. That is because there is a loss of efficency in transferring gas power to electric output and then more losses when the electric output is used to run the electric drive motor.

Tell us more about the boat that you wish to power and perhaps someone can give suggestions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.