Electric drive motors for sail craft (mono & multi)

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by masalai, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Bill Tomlinson

Bill Tomlinson New Member

Electric drive systems for sailboats

Electric auxiliary systems for sailboats up to 40 feet are available as a complete kit with all components. They provide high torque, but quietly and cleanly.
    The resource is Electric Yacht http://www.electricyacht.com
    I am on staff with the company, so yes, this is a blatant promotion. New battery technology is bringing both weight and cost down, while performance is going up. The net result is that electric power is now ready for sailboats, both for new and retrofit installations. It is lower in cost and about equal in weight (including batteries) compared to a traditional ICB engine.
    If you have questions, you will find answers and installation stories on our Web site.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ok, but I did not find how long the longest grid connecting cable you supply? Or do I reload my battery with infernal combustion engine?

3. masalai

masalai masalai

In my experience (I am using electric motor drive) as a stand alone system cannot be justified, BUT for one (self) who is paranoid about gas bottles and cookers in the galley, likes mains power galley/kitchen appliances, and is prepared to do the research as a total package, it is sort of justified if one also qualifies as a self-sufficiency nut case and a bit more... Keeping the weight down is STILL expensive and difficult as my genset is around 120Kg for a 22hp diesel & 100amps 48V charging capacity (I can get and use coconut oil to run the genset) and PV solar panels & batteries are both expensive and heavy, bloody expensive and lighter, or risky in some way or other... but I do not carry gas (but still carry petrol for the dingy outboard:eek::))

4. Bill Tomlinson

Bill Tomlinson New Member

Recharging electric motor systems

On the topic of recharging... Shore power is a cheap and convenient way to replenish the batteries. Common for day-sailors, but it does not get you off the grid! Some of our installs use solar, and or small wind gens. All our systems re-generate from spinning the prop while sailing, which does you no good if becalmed, so the answer for our live aboard and distance cruisers has been a small honda 1 or 2KW genset. Depending on your boat size, that can keep you going at 3 to 4 knots until you get where you are going (or use up all your gasoline).
    Electric powered systems seem to be most ideal where diesels are the worst-- a short ride away from the dock or mooring to set sails. Electric motors give you enhanced maneuvering and no worry about starting or properly warming an ICB engine. No maintenance either except for annually cleaning the battery hookups and greasing the reduction gear axles.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

At 40 ft and 4.5 tonnes (super-lightweight for cruising) catamaran Torqeedo 4.0R comes close, upcoming developments may improve this, but still the key for me is battery weight and ability to accept 6000W during charge for a reasonable price...

The genset & electric motor weight is the same as an IC diesel option. the batteries demand triple that on top, just for a 1 hour run at full power to escape a storm...

6. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

In case of storm, you will always sail faster home than with any motor

Motor for me, is more and more an accessory, an always available safty help in heavy weather to tack without the risk of going backward, to get into a mooring or move slowly when wind is absent or up a river, to help with low torque to go closer to the wind, faster
    So in my opinion, the real safety need is a lot of torque for short times, or low power for long times. These two cases are 99% of events you will meet.
    Of course, in heavy weather with rigging or all sails destroyed, you will have the drawback of lack of power. This is the 1 % of events... No, much less i think.

A modern sailing boat does miracle compare to old designs
    Unless you want to have a Mc Gregor style multihull, your boat will always be safer and faster with sails than with a motor

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Except when the passage to shelter is dead upwind:D:D nicer to be sure than sorry later...

8. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Yes but in upwind, you have... wind. You sail the same upwind, just a little longer and less comfortable but it remains safe moving and electricity is not needed in huge quantity to help riding 15°-20° to the wind. 3 KW could be OK using sails and genset
    20° to the wind is not acceptable ?

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

20° to the wind???:D

10. wardd

wardd Senior Member

how about a genset and a motor without the controller junk

some wire, an on off/reverse switch fuses and needed gages

and a cpp

11. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Sail for hard reaching + motor, allows riding 20° to the wind.
    This is called "hold jib" is france
    Very good energy compromise for VMG needing just a light genset

The question of how to use hybrid is important too dear Richard

Remember old dicton: a tiger in the engine, a donkey at the wheel :))

12. gideon

gideon Junior Member

15 to 20 degrees true or app. ????????? what type of boat have you got ?
    If I do 30 degrees app. I am very happy .

Greetings

gideon

13. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

sail alone 30°
    Sail and motor 20°

You think different ?

14. gideon

gideon Junior Member

For a very high performance monohull it is possible , for a high performance cat probably as well but with a high drift , I cruise comfortably at 35 % VMg is very good , at 30 degrees the drift is just to high and the speed to low to make any real progress.
    greetings
    Gideon

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

>>>Remember old dicton: a tiger in the engine, a donkey at the wheel :))<<<

Thanks for reminding us who commands your boat!!!

15° to 20° ja, ja

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.