Electric boat advice

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by camglasgow, Apr 6, 2006.

1. camglasgow

camglasgow Junior Member

Hello,

Im looking to come up with a conceptual electric propuslion scheme for a boat (sport yacht of about 45ft hull length). Boats of similar size have 2X500bhp diesel engines generally, but I want to replace these with gas turbines (if viable) and electrically powered waterjets.

What power output would I be looking at from my electric motors to give me adequate thrust etc? Is it simply 373kW each (i.e. 500bhp)?

Do gas turbines for this size of boat exist?

Cheers,
    Chris.

2. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

There are several threads on electric propulsion, with the pro's and cons. I suggest you track those first.
    You get a general idea about electrical populsion, so you can target your questions more precise.
    For the gasturbine, take a look on the www. Google on Gas turbine and a power range, you get a pretty clear picture of what's on the market.
    Good luck

3. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Turbine backup generators

Several companies sell backup generators with turbine, you get turbine and generator in one package.

Did have a quick look at Kawasaki but these seem to be a bit high in the power range, i am sure more exist.

4. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

pratt & whitney has a neat little baby somewhere around 500kW. If you want less, you have less fuel consumption ;-) I'm sure they exist smaller, as I saw a turbine build into a quad some years ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.