Elastodeck, Elasto-deck (polyurethane) Coating

Discussion in 'Materials' started by brian eiland, Aug 14, 2008.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I spotted this posting by diwebb over on the Dutch Barge subject thread, and thought the subject deserved some separate attention in the materials section. Does anyone else have experience with this, or similar materials.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showpost.php?p=221164&postcount=213

Another thought was the possible use of a system I came up with for sheathing old wooden planked boats to prolong their useful lives. My proposal was to use Elastodeck BT as produced by Pacific Polymers in Garden Grove, California, in combination with a geotextile fabric in two overlapping layers. The Elatodeck is a water curing one pot modified bitumen elastomer and is suitable for permanent immersion, it is also relatively cheap ( ten years ago when I did the exercise it was about $16.00 per gallon, epoxy was about $100.00). In combination with the geotextile it produces a laminate that has the consistency of the sidewall of a car tyre and is fully adhered to the wood. Being a flexible membrane there is no problem with the wood moving.

This method of waterproofing could be used for wood construction from simple lumberyard materials and is much less demanding on good workmanship.

The Coastguard use a similar product to coat their steel sea buoys and these are only hauled every ten years for maintenance, and most of the buoys suffer no rust damage in that time, so the product is proven for marine use

2. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Many Thanks

Many Thanks!!! The internet site of the company is http://www.pacpoly.com. A lot of interesting products...example for a non skid deck of a dive boat, able to withstand the abuse of diving tanks.

The site is very informative.

Cheers.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

well without really "getting into it" i scanned,, but it looks like rubber roofing. and when they talked about "marine" all i saw was marinAS using it. and everything they used it on doesnt flex no where near the amount a boat does.
    but thats just first thought.,, i'll really read it this weekend.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

P.S.
    it sounds like rhino lining,,,will they warranty its use on a boat?

5. brian eiland

Adhesion Product from roofing industry?

Now that you mention 'roofing' product it made me think back about another material that I was looking at for repairing plastic air bladders in certain style RIB's (Rigid Inflatable Boats)....I can't think of its name at this moment, but is was being highly touted for its fantastic 'adhesion properties'.

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i would ask them for a test sample,, they should be able to either give ya some "raw" material to mix yourself,, or a small roll of it.,, but would need the "raw" to do an accurate test,, specially on adhesion,,hehe ;)

7. brian eiland

Eternabond, roofing products & others

Just found that info:
    Eternabond
    http://www.eternabond.com/

A family of sealants that contain no double bonds between carbon atoms, but are comprised of a single bond between carbon atoms which result in a molecular structure which is extremely stable, and is resistant to oxygen, ozone and heat.

MicroSealant tapes are formulated from synthetic rubbers (non-butyl) and resins, some versions integrate thermo plastics and all contain a proprietary built-in primer that facilitates instant bonding to most known materials used in traditional building envelope and roofing applications (except silicone).

Polyvinyl chloride, commonly known as PVC, is one of the most commonly used plastics in construction today. PVC is cheap to fabricate, extremely malleable and easy to assemble. To that end, PVC is often used in the construction of commercial roofs. In fact, with proper PVC roof repair and maintenance, the material has a long estimated lifespan and is well proven. Nevertheless, over time PVC has a tendency to shrink, pulling on the seams and potentially causing leaks. Some types of PVC are prone to shatter as they dry out, and in all cases aged PVC can be difficult to repair because it is difficult to weld and few sealants will adhere to it for any length of time. The same limitations and problems exist when a contractor makes a modification to an aged PVC roof.

However, there is recent technological break-through available that has been offering the professional roofing technician a solution to this problem. It is advanced MicroSealant technology. MicroSealant technology is a unique science which makes the sealant benign to most surfaces allowing it to fuse to the aged PVC. It is also environmentally stable, having a useful, installed life of 18 to 35 years depending on geographical location, and it has a 5 year shelf life. This MicroSealant has a brand name: "EternaBond." EternaBond, because of its unique chemistry, is able to fuse to almost any surface, including aged PVC, and as previously stated will last for years and years in all environments.

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya know,,, down here in this area,, the "rubber roofing" craze went through,, lasted bout 5 years,,,now you should see all the problems,, and the shape their all in.i dont think i would even entertain the thought of that stuff until there was a few hundred "every day guys" had it done to theirs,,,,and wait 5 years.
    i would argue pretty heavily on the "it aint gonna stay stuck to wood" side of the stuff.,, hehe ;)

9. brian eiland

I do understand what you are talking about Jim...needing proof. I was looking for something that would stick to PVC bladders, and would be out of the direct exposure to sun.

There is one product that I know of that has definitely proven its capability to adhere to wood,,,,high performance polyurethane ,,,specifically 3M 5200

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya 5200 is the ONLY thing i will use.
    using it the "way" you want to,, probably wouldnt be so scary,,,,but still a little,,,, but i wouldnt use it in the "wood sheqathing".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.