epoxie

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jvnavigator, Aug 5, 2006.

1. jvnavigator

jvnavigator F50

I am building an F-32 Trimaran
    I am in the process of purchasing the required epoxies
    I was going to purchase West System 206 but in the process. I have listened
    So many opinions from venders that I need some impartial guidance’s.
    I am building the boat with Corcell and Divince H80 core foam
    Please advice.
    Thank you
    JV:?:

2. laurie.jewett

laurie.jewett New Member

Epoxy

From Mike:

For the past 10 years, we have had success with Fiberglass Coatings, Inc, St. Petersburg, FL, epoxies on a variety of substrates: old wood, new wood, styrofoam, closed cell foam, arabol & canvas, old polyester resin glass. Their technical assistance has been excellent and their prices and service are great. Experience has shown us that 2:1 formulation is much easier to use than 5:1.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

epoxy

I've used Fiberglass Coatings 4/1 epoxy for all my rc boats over the last few years but in my experience to have enough working time I had to keep the temperature at or below 68°-and still got a max of 20 min for 8oz.. That's my only slight complaint; their service was excellent. Recently at Matrix Composites I've been introduced to Systems Three Phase Two resin which is just fantastic. Up to 40 min working time @ 85° and can be set in 1 hour @150°. Slight complaint: if used in the 70-75° range it has slightly higher viscosity than the 4/1 from Fiberglass Coatings; at 80° or above no noticeable difference in viscosity.
    Good stuff which I'll use on everything from now on.....

4. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Go for it

Hello Jose,

Good on you for building a Farrier tri, they certainly are a great boat. An old cruising friend has just launched his F33 and it certainly looks good.

On the topic of advice you have to be a little careful. You can use 2:1 , 4:1 or 5:1 epoxies and they will all work. My 38 foot cat is built from WEST 105 resin with mostly 206 hardener. I got some fast hardener too for winter building. Please don't think that by asking 10 different people you will necessarily get the best answer - you will get their opinion - we all have opinions and they all suit our individual requirements.

If you use carbon and want to post cure the boat you may want a higher tech resin than 105. Post curing usually suits a resin which is made for high temp curing. Maybe thinner laminating resin for wetting out glass and 105 for fillers and glues. If you are in a nice warm climate then 105 gets pretty thin and works well. It depends on you and your situation. If you live somewhere humid the 105 can get a bit of amine blush which can slow you down so you may want a non amine blush resin for a project in the jungle.

My best bit of advice would be to really work out how high tech the boat will be before you start. If it is going to be an E glass boat - go 105 or any general laminating resin and go for it. If you want the full carbon/vac bagged post cure thing then talk to someone who has a higher tech resin to go with your cloth. You can make a good boat with either choice but the resin needs to be part of the system that integrates with the choices you make about the build.

cheers

Phil Thompson

5. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Ask Ian

If you are the owner of a certified set of pans for that boat, you can write to Ian Farrier directly or ask an open question to this topic at the Yahoo, F-Boats Group.

Actually, as detailed as Ian's plans typically are, I'm surprised he has not specified an approved listing of resin specs for his boats.

Personally, I use PTM&W resins for my builds. They typically provide resins to the aerospace industry and high tech applications and produce an extraordinary product. You can buy it from this company:

Lewis Marine Supply of N. Carolina, Inc.
    100 Anchors Away Drive
    Edenton, NC 27931
    800-823-0311
    252-482-1114
    FAX: 252-482-1115
    Don O'Hara
    www.lewismarine.com

Chris Ostlind

6. jvnavigator

jvnavigator F50

Thank you all for your respond
    I will ask Ian.
    The boat designer
    haj

7. mulletbucket

mulletbucket Junior Member

Paxton sell Co-poxy made by CDP. I've used it for several years and have no complants. I know of several builders in the Harkers Is area who also use it and they like is also. Be sure to buy the tropical slow hardner, It will give you plenty of working time in this weather.

Bryan
    Whiskey Creek Boatworks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.