efi

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by whitepointer23, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its switching on the bilge blower that blows you up in the first place.

However I have never seen a petrol car conversion boat on fire and aslo in the 60's all UK ski boats were converted car engines.

Converting a modern deisel engine is a piece of cake. If you can make exhaust manifolds

http://www.marinedirect.com.au/

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i agree frosty, i want to know how many petrol fires these people have seen, the only ones i know of have happened when refuelling or minutes after. i had a detroit 453 in a boat and when it was working the turbo would glow in the dark , imagine a fine diesel leak from the supply pump hitting that, that dry turbo worried me more than any petrol motor i have had.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ahhh well thats a different thing. You can not ignite petroleum fuel with a fag / cigarette.
    Try it,-- Its just not hot enough.

Similary a glowing tubo will not ignite deisel.

It has to be a high temp spark.

Its very difficult to remote start a fuel fire.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I suggested importing a EFI system and not a complete engine. I don't think that suggesting coming up with ideas of a boat that can be shipped as a container has any relation to EFI. And if I were to install any flamable fuel, it would definitely comply with safety regulations.

5. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

Modern diesels in weight and performance are getting closer and closer to gas engines, but when it comes to cost/hp not much beats auto/gas GM/Ford v8s for reliable power.
    And the man is after a cheap source of power.
    The disadvantages of gas vs diesel as fire risk are not worth debating about, but lack of knowledgeable maintenance can make anything a hazzard.
    In terms of EFI there are certain drawbacks to carbed engines. More electronics and sensors to be affected by salt and moisture, and sources of loose sparks.
    The other problem is FI needs much higher pressure to run properly, so this causes more headaches with fuel lines and joins leaking. I am not familiar with non return lines systems, almost everythins I've seen is calibrated with a pressure valve that allows excess fuel to return to tank, otherwise you are bound to have insufficient fuel when you open the throttle wide open and the rpm is high, causing a lean condition and overheating and loss of power.
    You don't have to be a computer expert to work with them. You just plug it up. Air pressure, temp, engine temp, rpm, throttle position, AND O2-censor are essential. They all send data to the ECU which crosstabulates the data in a spreadsheet and regulates the ignition timing and injector. Even though you are at sea level since you draw air from a closed space the pressure will vary. The lamda sensor or oxygen sensor is essential to regulate air/fuel ratio, so if you are going to make a manifold why not weld the appropriate nut in it and install it. Most likely it is a Bosch and they make marine versions of the same sensor or one with compatible readings.
    If all this causes you a headache use an older carb system and make a manifold that fits the engine then jet the carburator correctly by researching your plugs. EFI engines don't back fire, so there is one advantage!

1 person likes this.
  6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hey Frosty a glowing turbo will ignite diesel and or engine oil ( they just need about 250 celcius) thats why they do have many boat fires.
    A glowing turbo will not ignite petrol it needs a spark ( it needs 750 celcius) but with a spark it will ignite when below zero

1 person likes this.
  7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

There's no O2 sensor on a marine engine as if they get wet they are toast

( OK Yam did have one on an outboard..)

8. zerogara

What if you run a dry exhaust or if you run it way up close to the manifold and away from the water, if there is a will there is a way.

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

yes do-able and plenty of performance guys do it with aftermarket efi.
    Just dont expect the same life as the one(s) in your car.

10. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

Almost nothing actually uses an oxygen sensor for feedback above idle, the ones in most (all?) cars are narrow band and pretty much useless for tuning unless you want to know if you are running stochiometric air fuel ratios, which would be way too lean if you put your foot down anyway.

They are pretty easy to wire up, the ecu in my landrover has only has about 15 wires coming out of it

11. zerogara

Here is a thread with relevant info.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/diy-marinizing/gm-ls1-marine-use-9524.html

Dynojet makes a system that tuners use called Wideband which uses a Bosch 4 wire O2 censor. Once you run it in various conditions and collect the data you can change you mapping for ultimate A/F ratio and retry. Once done you remove the system and as long as your other sensors work the same and nothing changes the sensor can be stored at home. In a marine use you can probably get away with the sensor itself and a resistance gauge and by reading your plug you can fine tune a few throttle positions and you are done.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

O2 sensors are not needed on marine installations as much as automotive. The load variation range is very narrow. All major manufacturers have been experimenting with 02 sensors on wet exhausts without success. You guys are re-inventing the wheel. Used marine fuel injection systems are not that expensive, and are already properly designed. The injectors are different too, they are heavier weight (more flow).

13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

sorry gonzo, i thought you mean't an engine, if i found a mercruiser system could it be fitted to 1979 merc 302 ford .

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Both Mercruiser and VolvoPenta used the 302 Ford. There are always complete fuel systems for sale.

15. zerogara

Based on the powerband available whatever the use the load has to match the output. Why would you have more gas flow if the engine can't breathe more air? The only difference is that you can run a higher state of tune as you have ample cooling, but that is compression and different cams.

Anyway, the guy was talking about late model V8s, I thought someone mentioned OHC engines, now he is asking about a 79. The blocks may have been the same for many years but the heads are different so you still may need some adopting to do.

Are 351 Clevelands still around in Aus.? I hear they made them till much later than in the US.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.