beam stability

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by amateurboater, Aug 8, 2015.

1. amateurboater

amateurboater New Member

On a semi planing hull does excess beam cause instability in extreme weather conditions? The example we're using is a 46' Wesmac semi planing hull being built with a 17' 6" beam versus the standard 14' beam. I'm not saying the beam is excessive in this example but it seems to me at some point beam becomes excessive. Thanks for any feedback.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It would be necessary to analyze your boat, do some calculation to answer with some rigor but without more data that you have provided us, think that increasing beam, as a general rule, can, in some cases, decrease stability, it seems unlikely. Any additional information?

3. amateurboater

amateurboater New Member

Tansl- Many thanks for the reply to

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I would not know on that size boat, nor exactly your intended use, but I do know on kayaks or canoes (should be similar for larger hulls I suspect), wider is more stable in calm conditions, and can carry more excess load. but the wider it gets, when in rough seas, the more it tends to get knocked around (a rough ride), though it is not really any more likely to capsize. It takes more skill in a narrow kayak, but it is more controllable in heavy seas.

Seems to me a wider hull would come up on plane much easier on the same size and weight hull, but it will have more drag when in displacement mode. This means it would use more fuel per mile, and travel at a lower speed at the same throttle setting. but might get you there faster at intermediate speeds at higher throttle settings.

You need to ask yourself why you want the additional width, and if the trade offs are worth it. It seems to me that the cost of building a boat that size, it would be money well spent to have someone how knows how check how the performance and ride will be affected before you spend all that money building it and find out it was a mistake.

good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.