Efficiency: Submerged transoms

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by dustman, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Again you might get some data by using prelimina.com. From what little I understand Prof. Basic implemented a prediction for how an immersed transom. How accurate I can't judge:

Trim & sinkage solver – Prelimina https://prelimina.com/2019/10/trim-sinkage-solver/

If you do use it please post the results. I'd be curious about the results and how accurate others would judge those results.

I'd be curious about the pitching too but I think you need to look at that like a complex spring system with excitation through buoyancy, dampening through asymmetry or foils and oscillation through rotational inertia from how the weight is distributed. And resonance from hitting certain wave lengths.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

A former member (may still be member, don't see him post) "Groper" designed and built a fast displacement cat around 11 meters with rounded hulls and a submerged transom stern, might be some clues in that build thread. I recall he wasn't 100% happy with the ride, with some slamming on the flat section of the hulls forward