Effect of flare of sides??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by itskens, Dec 11, 2012.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I would EXPECT flare to cause problems rather than decrease problems with stability.

I would expect a straight up side to be better.

Just think about your dog moving from one side of the boat to the other to follow a scent - our did all the time growing up. In a boat that size?

2. itskens

itskens Junior Member

I'm wanting, I think, a 10' pram to take my 100#dog and dekes and me 220# around the lake margins. I also want to use this to cross the river and anchor and fish from. I'm not doing class III. The Smith Bros and the Hudson Springs prams look very promising, but I want a little more rake on the downstream side,, perhaps a compromise between the Dave Z's Drifter and the Smith Bro's pram. This is just a "get from here to there" boat and for light river use.

3. itskens

itskens Junior Member

Dogs: So maybe more upright confines the dog and keeps him from leveraging over the rail??

4. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I know. That is what we used our little jon boat for when I was growing up. 8' aluminum with a 45 pound dog .... The twenty pound dauchshound-beagle wasn't as much of an issue.

We didn't have much flare, but when he moved from side to side to catch a scent, the boat would rock ....

It will make a great get there boat.

5. itskens

itskens Junior Member

I'm just concerned I couldn't drift it a little, 'cuz of the parallel hull/not bullet shaped. I do think that what I'm wanting is something between a Jonboat and a true drifter.
    But/And, I really appreciate all the input I can get.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Flare would keep the dog's and the crew's weight centered in the boat. Even if you lean over, you're still on your butt or feet, which is where the vast majority of your weight will be (especially with my exwife). This is how a well flared sided boat's bottom, can benefit stability. If the dog or crew can exert most of their weight on or near the rail, you'll have a longer moment, which will have a bigger impact on stability.

7. itskens

itskens Junior Member

Ya,, I deleted the part about the wife,,,, but there was an encounter with the shoulder of my driftboat, with a log in a log jam and my 170# wife leaning over the rail, with face in the water and me standing on the high side, against the log, working the oars, to maneuver and not to crab..... as soon as we began to pivot out, I grabbed her and yanked her into the center of the boat.... to wit she exclaimed, "you saved my life"...... I guess that was one way of looking at it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.