editing or deleting Thread?

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by hakangim, Jun 3, 2009.

1. hakangim

hakangim Junior Member

Could anyone show me how to edit or delete a thread ? i could not find.

P.s : Problem is in Services & Employment title. There is no edit button on my last thread

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Sorry for the slow reply on my part,

If you click "edit" and then "go advanced" there will be an option to delete a post, but with the following restrictions:

1.) A post can only be edited or deleted within 7 days of when it was posted. (this idea is that someone shouldn't be able to go back and change "history" once the discussion has grown upon it.)

2.) You can delete posts but not threads (you can't delete the first post of a thread because of this; the idea is that you can't ask a question or spark a discussion and then delete the origin; this is currently an on/off switch though without a provision to allow deletion of a thread with no replies)

3.) You have to have at least 5 posts before you can delete your own posts. (this is to keep brand new users from creating confusion and making moderation difficult.)

3. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Jeff- if threads cannot be deleted how then are some closed??? i have a few i want to delete and there were a few i wanted to repond to that i cant because they are closed?
    whats the story?

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Very very few threads on the forum are closed - I apologize if you encountered one that you wanted to add information to that was closed. You can always start a new thread if the topic warrants this to give it a fresh start and focus this time around.

Threads are closed if I find they directly duplicate another already-running thread; there should be a link in the closed thread to the thread which it duplicates to continue the discussion there.

Threads are also closed if the thread itself or if an unreasonable number of people within the thread violate the forum rules - for example if the intent of the thread is to attack someone rather than start a legitimate discussion over an idea, it will be closed.

And threads are either closed or deleted if they are shamelessly "spammy" - usually from a brand-new person signing up only to promote something without the desire to have a discussion about it.

We have not historically and don't currently allow users to close their own threads, but if there is something that is time sensitive, for example, where further discussion is impossible, you are welcome to click the "flag for moderator" button; these cases are decided on a case by case basis.

The same rules as referred to in the 6-8-09 post above apply for deletions or historical edits - "A post can only be edited or deleted within 7 days of when it was posted. (this idea is that someone shouldn't be able to go back and change "history" once the discussion has grown upon it.)" You cannot delete the first post in a thread because following posts would no longer make sense then - it wouldn't be fair for someone to ask a question, for other members to take a lot of time answering it with information that could be useful for all, and then have the thread starter decide their question is answered so everything should disappear. One of the benefits of a forum is that the answers to one person's question may help many others in the future who have a similar question. Regarding the time limit, if we allowed people to go infinitely back and "change history" it wouldn't be fair to anyone else who replied as it would change the context after the fact and could make the forum into a real mess. For example, let's say UserA asks "what's my best option for painting this?" UserB responds "I'd recommend using awlgrip XYZ" Then UserC responds "if you use that you'd better prep it with QRS first. And remember don't do it unless you can get your shop to x degrees" If we allowed UserB to edit their historical post at any time in the future, then UserC's post no longer makes sense and now with the context removed or changed, UserC's post could become misinformation instead of information. Within a week, others still remember the context and UserC is likely still around so if he spots UserB has changed or deleted something he can then also say "sorry, UserB has deleted or changed what I replied to, so disregard my reply..." But if this were allowed longer it would become an impossible task to maintain the integrity of discussions and information, so thus the time limit on edit.

< Is There A Place For Shameless Self Promotion In This Forum Somewhere | The thought police are alive and well >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.