Edit Old Posts

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by dlp90731, Feb 4, 2012.

1. dlp90731

dlp90731 Junior Member

I would like to say this site is the best! The amount of information is unbelievable and the users have been the best. I had a question about editing one of my old posts. Removing some text not pictures. Any help would be grateful. Thanks

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Thanks.

However, there is a 7-day edit-window (time limit) to editing posts. The idea is that during this time you can make corrections if necessary and a week gives people a chance to edit if they have second thoughts. However there is a time limit so that subsequent posts aren't "undermined" by the history of the thread changing. It would be confusing and unfair to members who reply for example if someone posted a question and got a reply and then changed the question so the reply then seemed off-the-mark. The 7-day-edit-window is forum-wide and 7-days is a balance between convenience and keeping threads making sense.

You can however still add a post to an old thread if you like.
    On both the quick reply and the full reply, you should see at the bottom an "Old Thread Warning" checkbox which simply requires you to check the box before replying so that old threads aren't accidentally bumped.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

But how can I fix out of date links ? The 'flag for moderator' message doesn't include this as an option, but its the only way to make alterations.

Adding perpetual note after note seems really ugly.

4. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

If you want to flag an older post that has an outdated link where the same content is now at a new URL and the old URL is broken, please just put the updated link in the message and it can be corrected. Thanks.

< 8/4/13 maintenance window: datacenter electrical distribution upgrade | Points calculation >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.