V Hull with Flat Floor for Fishing

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Woody35, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Woody35

Woody35 New Member

Just to let you guys know I know nothing about boats and boat design except about how to take care of them and maintain them. The only reason i am interested in boats is because i am a avid angler. but i do have good woodworking skills and some fab skill. also i dont know if im in the right section of this fourm so moderators im sorry and move me if im in the wrong place.

i bought a old 1969 microcraft v hull fishing boat for my 16 year old son and his friends to go fishing with. i dont trust him with fishing with my Z9 nitro bass boat so i bought him this boat for his birthday.

anyway since its a v hull the front portion of the boat is not good for fishing compared to a flat bottom jon boat. is there anyway i could put wood on the bottom of the front of the boat to make a flat fishing surface. thanks for the replys

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well I have just re contoured the bottom of a jetski to reduce it from the 30 degree bottom to a flat W shape ...it has an outboard and I only cruise. I turned it upside down and stuck Polyurethane foam on the bottom to build it up ...real easy to shape and then filled the cavity I created with pouring foam....coverd with glass fibre ...it as hard a a brick **** house .....

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd recommend a much simpler and cheaper method then foam job, though that will work too.

Use some good quality, exterior grade 1/2" plywood and screw it to some cleats (nailers) or whatever to the height you need. Leave a little toe rail or small bulwark around the sides of the bow to keep things form rolling off into the drink. If the area is fairly wide and you think it need additional support, a vertical piece of plywood in the middle or along the rear edge will support a lot of weight (hundreds of pounds)

Coat the plywood with epoxy before installing it and again after to insure it's sealed up good. Then paint it up to look real purrrdy. Don't use carpet. This is the fast way to kill a deck. Use a textured paint if you want. Use stainless screws to hold the pieces together.

Think light weight, but strong, as weight in this area of the boat isn't good for performance. If you're really clever you can find a way to put in a built in cooler for your beer, or bait well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.