Mud Motor Drawing

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by mudman, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mudman

mudman Junior Member

Since there seems to be alot of guys that want to build a longtail mudmotor, I've decided to put some drawings on the board here. I'm just giving the basics here. It is not rocket science to build one, and of course these drawings can be modified. This is a design that I personally like. Some guys like more shaft, some less.

I did not show a mounting bracket, since I've seen many different types. You can mount it however you like. Also, there is a standard shaft coupling to connect the shafts (duh). The porposing plate is optional, but it helps if your balance is off.

The drilled holes in the shaft tube are to lubricate the cutlass. These are necessary.

I used aluminum in the design, but alot of other guys like steel. Steel does not have to be as thick as aluminum, and thus causes less drag. But steel will rust.

Again, It's all personal preference.

Attached Files:

2. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

Nice design, I printed it out to look at it.

I'm not going to build one in the near future, but I might one day.

3. drzaius

drzaius Junior Member

Haha... yall should look at the rickshaw motors website. they were promising two new motors..they tested both of them. go read what they say.. very funny.

4. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.