Ecotech

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by dick stave, Nov 18, 2007.

1. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Is anyone working on a marinized version of the 2.0 litre ecotech engine? There is a lot of talk about this powerplant on a jet boat forum in my area.
    Apparently 350 lbs.,aluminum block ,140 h.p. Chevy has campaigned two of these engines in drag racing reaching 1000 h.p. This is being touted as a "global" engine and a replacement for the small block (would be a good reolacement for the "sportjet" as well). Anyone have any info. ?

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Junior Member

2.4L ecotec

GM is now offering a marine version of the 2.4L
    I'm sure someone will now get a supercharger to work on it like they have the 2.0L

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

With an estimated mean time between overhauls of probably no more than a couple of minutes, I would imagine!

Mercruiser is marketing a marinized, sterndrive version of the Vortec 1600 under the name "Vazer". They're getting 100 hp out of that engine in marinized form with decent service intervals.

I don't see any big technical hurdle to doing a similar marinization on the Ecotec. Granted, GM made it real easy for Merc to offer the 1600 in marine configuration (GM sells them for the industrial market with semi-custom ECUs and with no manifolds, fuel system or aux systems), while the Ecotec- especially for DIY types- is generally pulled from a car. I haven't seen it referred to as a replacement for the small-block V8s, though....

4. Akgramps

Akgramps Junior Member

Reviving this thread as I am wondering if there are any new devlopments w/ a marinized 2.4, does anyone know if you can purchase a marine 2.4 directly from GM?

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I'm glad I got rid of my Frontera 4WD with the lousy Ecotec engine. Mine was made by Holden in AU and looked much sloppier than the ones built in Germany.
    Exhaust manifold cracked twice, the timing belt snapped at 32.000 miles, causing major damage.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Wow, CDK. Your car engine, your jet pumps.... I'd almost say that mechanical things hold some long-standing grudge against you. You didn't do something a while back to tick off the Secret Council of Abused Engine Parts, like running some old truck with no oil changes, did you? ;)

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

No Matt, honestly I didn't. On the contrary, devices that refuse to operate normally resume their function the moment I get near them. But I am a guy who generally tells the truth, at least as I know it, and from time to time I need to be reminded of the fact that salesman usually lie through their teeth. Then, for quite a while I am very cautious, but eventually I get conned again.

This particular car was the only one I ever bought after seeing a very convincing TV commercial, where it climbed a 45% slope. It was sold in Europe as an Opel, but was something put together from GM leftovers from all over the world, including Isuzu and Holden, assembled in England of all places! It started to be mean to me within the 1th year by showing the MMU warning light in very inconvenient places like on the top of a mountain and switching it off as soon as we were near an Opel dealer.

I live in a beautiful but remote spot and have to buy my cars abroad. At the present I have a Kia Sorento crdi with all the extras they could put it and am 100% satisfied with it, so I probably never buy a new car anymore because I am where I want to be and feel no desire to travel further than the end of this island. The wife thinks differently, that's why we have a Fiat motorhome.

8. Akgramps

Akgramps Junior Member

Interesting comparison, the motor in a truck? to a boat motor?
    Sloppier? what does that mean? Does it leak more than the German motors?
    I really was looking for info that pertained to use in a watercraft of some sort.

9. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Not a truck but an SUV. In the US they called it Isuzu something (not Trooper), but there it had a V6 engine.
    Sloppy: the cast aluminum head I purchased in Germany to repair the timing belt damage looked like a decent industrial product, the Australian one had warts on all sides. Only where gaskets should be placed someone with a rough grinder had removed them.
    The whole engine, designed to be transversely mounted, looked as if an amateur had been at work to make it fit. Lots of hoses running crisscross, an oil filter that had to be relocated because the front drive shafts were in the way and numerous unused threaded holes. The impressive camshaft cover with the Ecotec badge looked like aluminum but appeared to be paper thin plastic, spray painted.

10. Akgramps

Akgramps Junior Member

CDK,
    I apreciate your input, particuarily after perusing your post about your trials and tribulations with your experimental tunnel craft. I can understand your handle, "experimental engineer".
    I suspect a marine application of a Ecotec would be quite diffrent as far as hoses, routing, driveshafts and all the ancillary items that are on a land vehicle.
    I am still looking forward to some input from folks that have actually used these motors in a marine app.
    Heres a link to a Aussie firm that is apperently offering a "marinzed" version.
    Anyone know anything about these critters?

http://www.ecotecmarine.com.au/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.