light airboat hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by josh_2562, Oct 7, 2007.

1. josh_2562

josh_2562 New Member

Hello
    Well I need some help on making a light airboat hull. What I have been think about doing is use 2lb denstiy foam and fiberglass over it. The hull will be a deck over so I was going to have a pice of foam cut 12'x6'x 12" with the shape I want the hull. I know I got to use epoxy resin but what kind of glass should I use? The engine will be about 40hp. The boat will be used in water less the 1ft. Thanks for any help. Josh

Also if you know a better way to build a light hull let me know thanks again

2. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Sound's like a pretty easy way but you will need some stringers to attach the engine mount to andy you could probably build lighter than solid foam. You should check http://southernairboat.com guys that have done airboats before and lots of good information. Saw today a guy on the site picked up a hull about the size you are planning to build with rigging for $150.00 in Florida!

3. josh_2562

josh_2562 New Member

thanks for the help. I'm the guy that got the boat for $150 it's light but I want some thing lighter. they are very helpful over there but they did know what mat I should use or if 2lb density would be stronge enought. Thanks for the help josh

4. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

I thought I read mat uses a binder that is not disolved by epoxy so you shouldn't use it with epoxy?:confused: Last epoxy project I did the guy that sold me the west system, sold me mat?:confused:

5. josh_2562

josh_2562 New Member

there is some mat that you can use with epoxy but it cost more.I got to use epoxy because the ther resin will eat the foam up

6. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Check some surfboard sites, Polyester foam can be glassed with Poly resin. I just haven't figured out what kind it is at the hardware store.

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Surboard blanks are made from polyurethane foam which will tolerate polyester resin. Home Depot type foam is polystyrene and will melt in a New York instant when contacted by poly resin or just about any of the common solvents like laquer thinner, acetone, MEK, etc.

Check out Klegecell foam. It can be had in various densities and thicknesses. It comes in 48" x 96" sheets. It will tolerate polyester without dificulty. One supplier for Klegecell is Fiberglass Coatings in St. Petersburg. The stuff is expensive but worth the cost for a project of your type. I warn you that construction of glass over foam is not the lightest way to do a small boat. By the time you get enough glass on both sides of the foam your weight will have increased disappointingly. All things considered, you can build a lighter boat using Okume or similar plywood, not fir.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.