Eco-Friendly Materials??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bigalogigalo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ummmmmm,,,,,i didnt say those things are'nt,,,or why,,,,why are they made from that stuff??,,dont know ask the people that make em,,,,and well dont argue with me as to why,,,,argue with them "researchers of yours,,,like i said,,,,im very simple minded,,,,all them big werdy's aint from me ;)
    ask the smart people,,,
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6767961-claims.html
    and if your trying to say them things dont absorb or leach liquids,,,then,,well,,,i guess we can blame your teachers,,,,cause even idiots like me know even todays resins are not completely "water tight",,,,,,cut a piece of ya boat and look at it under a microscope

2. simon

simon Senior Member

As a famous book tells, the world has not been created in one day. Why are you after a already finish, 100% bombproof, thousand year tested, ideal solution?

I pointing out that there are approaches that might be tested, improved, refused or accepted. But without trying there is no progress. As there is almost no vapor-tight material, why should then a new solution be.

So any other suggestions for eco-friendly materials?
    Any comments on my proposals?

Another approach would to create a completely recyclable boat. That would mean that the various materials must easily separable and recyclable. Again thermoplastics could be an interesting approach.

Btw, my boat is made of aluminium, I do not know if aluminium absorbs water, but a slice of my boat will show bloody water in the bilge. And I know where it comes from. The rudder-post-gland and a drilled "water-proof" bulkhead.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

No NO No No No Yes, to misquote from "Vicar of Dibbley" again, - - That was Shakespeare or someone "Rome was not built in a day" - Still "the famous book" ---- I feel that most approaches have been looked at and tried :D or failed :p ---- As for previous sentence, ---- Difficult to separate the components in many cases. ---- That material requires more electricity to make so does not start off well so recycling may be a consideration

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ummm,,,that is why i dont wanna hear your,,,,umm,,,ya,,,,dont waste the time of this thread on a bunch of "hillbilly" maybe ca-ca,,,,,,,,,doesnt feel nice to be told that does it?,,,,but Mas. says im not nice anyways
    see before that post,,this thread WAS actually going somewhere,,we were all talking it out,,( man i would love to sit and hear how you hold a conversation with people,,,is it hard keeping them on subject whithout someone saying,,,,"hey,,,that reminds me,,,this 1 time,,"),,,,so since jeff wont give us an "iggy" button,,heh,,,well i guess ya gonna have to put up with my ranting off thread,,,,
    and yes even your alum. seeps,,,,in fact for metals alum. is VERY porous,,,,and if your boat stays in the water,,i bet 30% of that water in ya bilge is there in the morning before ya even start your engines,,,but thats for another thread.
    For everyone else,,,lets get back to the conversation hehe ;)

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Simon,
    You hide where you are from, but you have to get real. Where I am try telling these 1,000's of sport fishermen, 60' gofast, 30' twin outboard, 75' luxury cruiser crowd that they will have to go green. Sailboats are a hard enough sell down here. You will have to change the whole boating industry that is in enough trouble. For the past 3,000 years just about every material know has been used to build boats. Straw, bamboo, leather, tree bark, resins from tree sap, wood, aluminum, steel, polymers, fiberglass, ALL are recyclable. I know! My fiberglass 38' Beneteau was bought for scrap. If you look at some of the other threads you will see progress pictures of West Wind. Steel freighters are being cut apart in Malaysia and the steel and parts are being recycled (at an eco price). We should continue to evolve the materials, Stronger, lighter, cheaper, but don't think you are reinventing anything. It has all been done. Now we evolve what we know

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

well said ;)

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hay Jim.. We need to set up a new Forum. "Drop by and shoot the Bull"
    What do you thinK?

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

yupz,,,that way i can stay outta trouble ;)

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

have ya heard that last year 1/3 of bees in the u.s. died,,,then already this year more then that have died,,,,,that wood boat dont look so easy to make in 20 years

10. simon

simon Senior Member

Bigalogigalo,

are you happy with the answers? What do you expect from this thread?

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Simon,
    Are you happy with the answers? What do you expect from this thread?

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Kaptin-Jer & the1, Grumpy was created just so there is a "safe place" to shoot the breeze with invectiv and opinionated ideas - go for it:D:D:D

Then dumbasses like me don't have to do too many searches to find entertainment . either "drivel...", "Gamages", "Grumpy...", or piracy :D:D:D

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

is it not sad,,,that hydrogen,,being the MOST abundant gas,,,takes so much energy to get into a cell,,,but,,,if you made a fuel cell large enough( man popcorn butter and typing dont mix),,,,but,,,large enough to make enough to produce the electricity to get more hydrogen,,,enough to keep the fuel cells "charged",,,,then wouldnt it be like,,,a fuel cell facility,,,,run on fuel cells?
    and why cant we do something with helium,,,,texas has more of that stuff then ANYWHERE in the world,,,hehehe,,,you guys would talk as funny as ya look hehe;)

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Is helium that gas that makes your voice sound funny - sort of like daffy duck? - I'll have some of that :D:D:D:D:D

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

can you imagine the kids going around "sucking" on mufflers hehe ;)

< Choices | Hid#? >