Eco-Friendly Materials??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bigalogigalo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

shhhhh

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Actually there has been a LEEDS type of certification in the Marine industry for a while. Mostly in the engine building area, but it ie not as extensive. Among other things, I am doing GSA work that is all LEEDS we are a certified company. I keep a low profile when it comes to that stuff and the marine industry. The EPA has put many good people out of work, and I am very hypocritical when it comes to my work on my boat.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i have to take a safety class every month even to be allowed in the oilfields,,,none of it is about "environment" safety :(

4. masalai

masalai masalai

anything on operational/operator safety? - my granny would say (when I was a lot younger) "Get a haircut" :D:p

5. simon

simon Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice not having the threads diluted by nonesense, It would make this forum more helpful. The persons who start the treads would like to have some questions answered. Let's go back to the subject.

There is a site in french about a project of building a proa with ecological considerations.

http://www.ecoprao.ch/home.php

Simon

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

heh bye ;)

7. masalai

masalai masalai

simon, Me & many others seem to have short attention spans for subject matter that is "off the wall" and attracts similar comment... What you do and how you prepare may set your boat up to be benign, but not the manufacture... Read the wisdom with an open mind and you will get the point too... There are lots of serious threads on sail, engine, hull, alternate power efficiencies and alternatives.... Materials - use the best available, always.... & don't compromise for "benign environmental impact" EVER

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Between the 'nonsense' there are great, check that, good words of wisdom. I started 5 years ago in these forums and what I learned got me through 2 major rebuilds. Yes, we do go off thread from time to time, but we have to have some fun, meet new friends, and maybe even learn something we weren't expecting to learn. We always come back to thread - eventually.

1 person likes this.
  9. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

How about bamboo? It is very strong and takes very little time to grow.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

where has the world gone,,,,to satisfy our "recreational" enjoyment,,,,we take the food right out of the mouths of baby pandas,,,,,,its a sad,,sad day ;)

11. simon

simon Senior Member

Well guys, I also think that this forum is great and gives valuable and sometimes surprising answers. And not everything has to be dead serious.

I believe that this thread is interesting and deserves some attention on the technical side. It is not about tree-hugging, but maybe about finding some practical solutions.

So what about substitutes for oil-based resins?

http://www.bc.bangor.ac.uk/news-and-resources/news/documents/Replantpressrelease.pdf

They researching on producing thermosetting resins based on vegetable oil.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

not only cant he,,,,,,,never mind,,,as them arkansas farmers tell their cows,,,"gettonupouttahere"
    and simple simon,,,,there researching how ants doink too,,,give us solutions,,,dont waste this threads time on ideas,,,,i got an idea ta use inmates as floating islands,,,,jus make em keep kicking with a stun gun,,,see,,,since ya wanna be serious,,,ideas are like blowholes,,,everyone has em,,,and they ALL stink,,
    so come on with a solution????

13. simon

simon Senior Member

Let's see:

- we have wood as core in strip planking and using vegetable oil based resin to glue together and cover it with basalt or hemp fiber cloth and the same resin. Use Plywood glued with the mentionned resin for flat panel applications.

- Use Polyethylene made of alcohol to produce honeycomp that will be the core and reinforce it with basalt Polyethylene laminate on both sides.

Paints also based on vegetable oil.

Any other suggestions?

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wood is only HALF green,,,cause ya need to make sure it was harvested from a tree farm not a forest,,the "vegie" resin is an idea,,,,no science,,so thats an,"idea",,,
    Polymer materials are used in many ways as barrier material for instance the simple
    polyethylene bag for food storage or little more advanced multi layer plastic ketchup
    bottles. Hydrogen bonded polymers are good barriers against permanent gases,
    especially poly(vinyl alcohol) and the co polymer poly(ethylene-co-vinyl alcohol) are
    very good barriers against oxygen. The protection against oxygen is crucial if the food
    is sensitive to oxidation. However, when in contact with water, both vapor and liquid,
    the barrier properties of hydrogen bonded polymers can decrease rapidly. In food
    packaging the barrier material is often against oxygen, this is a problem, as food
    usually contains water that will migrate into the plastic and thereby plasticize the
    polymer this increases the permeability of oxygen. When developing a new material
    that is exposed to stuff that humans eventually will eat or inject, extensive test must
    be conducted. In plastics, there can be many chemicals from different steps of the
    manufacture<<<<<does that sound like a boat glue? against water? and does it sound like a "green" substitute?
    i aint very smart so i need this stuff explained like ya would a 10 year old ;)
    and ya paints,,,if ya use a "green" paint made from veggies,,,how much do ya use?,,how often do you need to use it?,,after adding in cunsumption,,,and the veggies themselves,,,,how long till that "green" way use more fuel to produce,,,,oh ya,,,produced,,,,,,how are these things produced?,,,what fuel "makes" this "green" IDEAS?

15. simon

simon Senior Member

< Choices | Hid#? >