Easy to use program

Discussion in 'Software' started by thesuit, May 2, 2010.

1. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

I'd say that they're pretty good first attempts.
    Keep on working with Delftship and other programs, and you'll get there sooner or later.
    But - and this is important - never ever forget that being able to use a piece of software doesn't automatically make you a competent yacht designer or a NA. For this, you'll have to study...

2. thesuit

thesuit Junior Member

yeah i understand that. if i ever did decide to become a na. i live about 10minutes from the Australian maritime college.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Those little red spots don't mean much. The program's main aim is to build ships out of steel plate. It is pretty rigorous with what it decides is or isn't developable. Plywood is a bit more forgiving in these respects. What you have are small deviations that are on the order of .00something of a measurement off and would probably be covered by a wiggle in cutting the panels. Heed the words of others...being able to draw a boat shaped object doesn't mean that said object will perform as a boat or up to your expectations. Many more things are involved in boat design that just the design of a pretty shell picture. Take it from someone who has absorbed the flak on that one. Time to delve into the mysteries of everything boaty.

4. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

5. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

fruitful links ! thanks ya...

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

thesuit it looks like your catching on to this after all. I would make one observation, the bow area looks like its tacked on to the body and you have a hard spot at the connection, it would be better and smoother if they were all continuous surfaces from bow to stern.

7. thesuit

thesuit Junior Member

yeah i have noticed that. just not sure how to join the edges yet (even after reading the manual on it)

and i let it for 2 reasons after i couldnt work it out.

1 if its 2 bits i cant cut in with the cnc i have access to (1200x2400)

2. makes it easier handle in 2 pieces.

ive notices alot of jetboats on the nzjetboat website they make them like this make the back as one peice and build the bow off it. for my first attempt at building an ali boat this is how im going to try and if it works i may change a few things

8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Be careful that maybe how they are built but not necessarily how they were designed and drawn.

9. thesuit

thesuit Junior Member

most of them dont actually design them on a computer or draw them.
    there all make just from folding and welding. no prior ideas

1 person likes this.
  10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

thesuit ...I have sent you a pm with wehere you can get carene and other information ..the dick head who runs epoxy-resins in the uk has blocked australian servers so you have to get it from
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/robert.laine

checked works ok bottom of page

11. stubby

stubby Junior Member

They look ok for a first go. PM me your email and I will send you some models that I have designed on delftship free.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.