Easy to use program

Discussion in 'Software' started by thesuit, May 2, 2010.

1. thesuit

thesuit Junior Member

Howdy all i've recently designed my first boat in 2d in corel draw.

ive tried delftship and free ship both im finding extremely difficult after about 2 months work. are there any simpler programs.

attached is my boat drawings hope someone can help me.

[​IMG]

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

Freeship and Delftship ARE the simplest programmes one can use!

And, sorry, you did NOT design a boat! You made a drawing of a boatlike shape. That is a hughe difference.

There are tutorials here on the board how to use Freeship as a novice. Use the search function.

Regards
    Richard

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Gee apex you really are welcoming to new young members! Firstly freeship and delftship are not the easiest programmes to use if you have no experience with 3d cad and yes running through the tutorials will help to get your head around the process but we don’t know if he/she has done that? Its funny I always thought a design started with an idea, then a drawing, then who knows where from there.
    thesuit I have freeship but I don’t use it (I prefer maxsurf) but if you tell what you are getting stuck on I maybe able to help or some of the other users should be able to.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

5. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

it will be easier to give suggestion if u kindly tell what kind of boat you want too design , do u have naval architect or similar background? . i am worried bcz you used corel draw !
    you can use Rhino ,, which feel much easier than any others.

6. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

LOL.. i guessed so .. ::D

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks daiquiri for enlightening me!

Sorry "thesuit" thought you were a adult.

And yes bhnautica, some programs are easier to comprehend, I was referring to freeware only. There, Freeship will be hard to beat!?

Regards
    Richard

8. Paul A

Paul A Junior Member

This drawing, here greatly reduced, was produced full size in Corel Draw. The reduction and compression of a 18' long file muddies up the image a little at 1/2 a mg, but it's accurate and dimensioned to the nearest 32nd of an inch.

Attached Files:

9. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Hey Suit Man! Welcome, and great work so far!
    Maybe Carene 2008 is what you need. Generates hulls you can build from large sheets of (water proof) plywood, and if I remember right, there are lots of examples included too.
    http://www.epoxy-resins.co.uk/Carene/carene.htm

This will not allow you to draw in the frames, the windscreen, nor will it tell you how thick of plywood to use. For some you can just figure it out as you build, for the the rigth sizes etc. you will need to dig into sites or books about plywood desgin. Here are two:

http://www.devlinboat.com/stitchandglue.php

http://www.boatbuilder.org/

Good luck!

Grant

10. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Grant...I think you are confusing Carene with Hulls. Hulls has all the examples, Carene is just the program. Both work well though...just differently and both are really basic. They are only good for producing hull panel shapes. He wouldn't get that hull from either one I don't think...certainly not from Carene...I am not all that familiar with Hulls though so it might be possible in there.

11. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I believe he said "in year 10" and "School project"...more like 10th grade in high school (15-16-17 yoa?). Consider the writing, syntax and vocabulary...a bit more advanced than most 10 year olds'. Still...I could see freeship being a bit tricky. Getting to a chined hull has been difficult for a few folks who have posted here.

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hey Paul, that's a very good-looking and simple boat, I like it! :)

13. yipster

yipster designer

rtfm (read the *****ng manual) for one day
    try again the next and things go better
    2 months work saved and you never regret learning some 3d drawing
    a well sortoff.. ;)

14. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

thesuit I found my copy of freeship 2.6 and this is what I came up with, so I could help up to this point. As I said I don’t usually use freeship so I may have missed some of the better ways of doing things which others maybe able to help with.

Attached Files:

15. thesuit

thesuit Junior Member

yeah sorry. Im not the best at computer drawings or anything like that i enjoy my pencil and paper.
    corel draw was given to me so i decided to start of with that and see how i go.

After reading a few posts here i kinda felt a bit stupid that even after reading the manual u could've work it out so i went and talked to a guys at a boat builders in my area and asked how he designed his boats. " boy i just make whats in me head" pretty useless help but a younger guy there said as a hobby he made model boats using delftship and i got him to show me a few things.

since then ive attempted 2 boats. imo there ok for first attempts.

give me honest feed back please.

also in delftship when i view as "developeability check" it has small amounts of red which i belive means it wont work. how much red can i have.

3rd pic shows what i mean.

please bear in mind in only 16 and drawing in 3d is all new to me.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.