Something like a Carver 32 after cabin cruiser, but on one level?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by lance linked, Mar 29, 2016.

1. lance linked

lance linked Junior Member

My brother is in a wheelchair, but is buying a house with river frontage on the Severn River (MD) and is looking for a motor-cruiser that could double as a live-aboard for extended winter cruises to Florida. He should be getting 3-3.5' dockage.

I have been looking at Carver 3207 types from the mid 80's as a cheap live-aboard, but the up and down of them is not good for his condition. I also understand that they are more of a planning type hull and are not fun in more than 2-3 foot swells, so are not really blue water capable.

Is there a boat in a similar class that is better deep water capable, with similar roominess, similar price range in the 15K-30K$ mid-80's to mid-90's vintage, and all on one level (or mostly so)?

Your thoughts?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Making a boat ADA compliant is quite a job. In the small size you mention it, with blue water capabilities, only a custom build would fit the bill. Also, any boat in that size will make it very hard for someone on a wheelchair to move around in any swells. Some people in wheelchairs have done extensive cruising, in sailboats, by installing a rail system and using a modified wheelchair. Keeping everything on one level would mean a really tall boat, which in turn means longer and wider.

3. lance linked

lance linked Junior Member

I suppose it is a given that twin engine boats with semi-vee hulls will have engines paired on or about the centerline for dynamic balance. I wonder if any boats have been built with engines split, one on each side, on the length centerline, but with a passage between. this would seem to be a reasonable solution that would result in a continuous floor on single plane, in 2 (or 1 1/2) levels for a reasonable height limitation of 16' from keel to topside. Assuming a 12' beam and a length of about 32', you really would have a "Winnebago of the seas".

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The spacing between engines is barely enough to squeeze in for service in a boat that size. There is no way a wheelchair will make it.

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.