Easy Thermoform

Discussion in 'Materials' started by archeryrob, Jul 30, 2009.

1. archeryrob

archeryrob Junior Member

I want to build my own boat. I use it in rock filled rivers where my ABS old town gets small gouges in it. I want to build a row able tracking layout hunting boat. The hybrids guys are building 1. are not tracking and 2. don't handle rocks. They are flat water calm boats. Seen some with the first good rock gouge and they need re-glassing patches, so I want to avoid fiberglass and go plastic.

I would like to build a form and make the hull and top separately, then rivet and seal and glue them together. I was thinking royalex type stuff or ploycarb. Where can I get this stuff and where can I read up on heating and forming it? I am assuming heating it evenly is 1/2 the trouble. I know the wood form takes longer to cool. I am not producing them professionally. Just for me and a friend or two.

I know some one is going to say a different fiber or something. I want flat out tough. Fiber and epoxy is not going to survive the pinball I play in the rocks some days. Rotomold would work, but obviously, I can't make the metal mold, don't have the oven or mold spinner.

Now I want to hear what you all think.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

What size boat is it you're looking for? I ask this because over the years I've seen just about about every style of boat being made from this type of plastic, I'd say there must currently be something on the market.

3. archeryrob

archeryrob Junior Member

The boat could vary once I built it 10' to 12' and 3' or so wide. They make several hunting boats for layout, but I want to take a 100# dog with me and want the boat stable for him coming in and out, want it to track and be stable. Many are made for driving (Barneget Bay) and layout are towable (do not track or paddle) or are small and unstable.

I am looking at an old sunfish type hull to rig and play with as a prototype. Hunt with it this year and make changes and move on from it with anew design.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.