Lines Creation Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by LePrince, Feb 9, 2020.

1. LePrince

LePrince Junior Member

Dear All

Is there any software i can use to create new lines for a displacement ship

I expect the input to be L, B, D, LCB, CP, CB, or CM, PMB Start and Extension, Bilge radius

I'm wondering if there is any software around can do it even if it create some preliminary curves to be faired later

Thanks and regards

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you looking for software to completely design a ship? The lines drawings are a representation of the design, not the design itself. The design process starts by finding out what the ship is supposed to accomplish. It goes on to investigate any and all regulations it will have to comply with. Also, there will be constraints. For example, maximum beam and length to be able to go through the Panama canal. It goes on and on until a complete Statement of Requirements (SOR) is completed. Most likely it will have to be revised and modified later. All these parameters will drive the design and will end up in a set of lines. I suppose that eventually there may be AI to do all that, but it is in the future.

rwatson likes this.
  3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Gonzo, all that has nothing to do with what the OP asks.
    Answering @LePrince now, there are several programs, Maxsurf for example, that have "templates" for various types of ships. When the user chooses one of those templates, enters the characteristics of his project, the program generates a 3D model of the hull trying to adapt to them as much as possible. Then designer can apply a parametric transformation to that initial hull to adjust more and more the coefficients of the "template" to those of his ship

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  4. LePrince

LePrince Junior Member

thanks for your answer

Maxsurf templates are very limited

In TRIBON M3 there was a module called "Form" it was a powerful tool to create lines with inputs and release it to lines for further fairing

i was wondering if there is new software which can do the same job with modern interface and more options

5. Remmlinger

Remmlinger engineer

6. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

May be I am wrong, but it is very difficult to find template, that will satisfy all your requirements. If you know what you want, it is better just draw your own new lines in kind of software. Or modify some suitable model, you make before. It will take may be half of day for you, instead of playing with lot of parameters an waiting for miracle. Usually you can scale an transform your previous similar project or combine different fore and aft ship. We do it like that: https://www.shmexpert.com/post/fishing-vessel-hull-shape-modification
    A
    nd there is no problem at all to modify shape and get required volume and LCB.

7. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

made this small video

8. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

Just look at buttock close to flat side on this video. Is it correct???

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What defect do you think you have detected? Perhaps, aft, that buttock should not end in the transom?

10. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

In fore part close to flat side around bilge area buttock looks very sharp. I think it need to be more rounded.)

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think it is due to the effect of the bulb, which extends too far aft.
    In any case, a well-defined hull should have clearly visible tangents on the bottom and on the side.

12. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

I think it because flat side is not defined as separate surface patch. Buttock in 50 mm from flat side at this model will be even more sharp and not natural.

TANSL likes this.
  13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Due, probably, to the intention, wrong in my opinion, to define the hull with a single surface.

14. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

There is no really flat side in this case and buttocks in this area will follow shape of rectangular grid mesh - will be more sharp and rectangular shape. In general it is impossible to control flat side shape for such model.

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

This is the problem with programs of this type, they create models with great ease, with which to obtain, at most, the hydrostatic values, but these models are not valid for the final design (construction drawings) of the ship, among several other things.
    That said, I have to admit that DelftShip, with its limitations, is amazing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.