Easy Catamaran build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Beav222, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Beav222

Beav222 Junior Member

easy-1.jpg
    easy-2.jpg
    easy-3.jpg
    easy-4.jpg
    easy-5.jpg
    easy-6.jpg
    easy-7.jpg
    Hi all,
    I am building an Easy Catamaran and would love to hear all discussion about pro’s and con’s.
    This is a 5 year build and I have one hull completed and the other 3/4 finished.
    If you have to ask why I’m building then you won’t understand the answer.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it.
    Well, I'm not going to ask why you're building these hulls, but may I ask what you expect from us? Thank you.

3. Beav222

Beav222 Junior Member

Actually I don’t mind talking about it. Usually when you say something like that it envokes conversation.
    So let’s talk about why someone would build rather than buy!!
    BTW I didn’t say not to ask I just said you probably wouldn’t understand the answer! Lol

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

OK Beav.....why are you building the cat? Try us,we might even have an inkling of understanding......or not.

Beav222 likes this.
  6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

As I understand the first post, we should not ask that question because it would indicate that we are not able to understand whatever it is that the OP answers. I deduce that if we can not understand it, there is no reason for him to waste his time answering. So there is no choice but to ask the question but without the OP realizing that we have done it. For example, why can anyone be so dumb to buy a boat instead of building it?. It will be necessary to specify, of course, the type and size of boat that makes one thing preferable over another.
    Does this question deserve an answer?

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Who cares why he wants to build a boat?
    It's his choice.

But it sure is egotistical to think he's unique and no one else will ever understand his reasons.

Nice way to start a conversation. Slap in the face.

Sure would be nice if he could at least get the pictures straight.

Perhaps some details about what he is building and how would get a real conversation going.

8. Beav222

Beav222 Junior Member

Well if you insist!
    I’ve been a carpenter all my life and now that I’m older and the kids are grown I have the time and money to do what I want. For most that sail it is a passion and love to be on the water. For me, I’m not a sailor but I believe I’m going to love it. The choice to build a wooden boat was Easy as I love working with wood. I started looking for plans 2 years ago and as I was looking through all the building sites and all the building materials I settled on the Easy design. It does what I want it to do. It’s a costal cruiser and will be perfect for the west coast and Pudget Sound. Now that I’m 3/4 the way through the second hull I realize how rewarding and fulfilling it is to create something with your own hands. I have touched every piece of wood on the boat and when I’m in the shop building I forget about the problems of the world for a short time. I also get to use the hand tools my father and grandfather used in their trade many years agoworking on the dams along the Columbia river. It won’t last forever so I enjoy the time while I can. I plan on 3 more years of building and that coincides with my retirement. Some days I’m amazed with the results of all the hard work I’ve put in.
    Sooooo I’d like to hear from other builders about the good and the bad about building. Any pitfalls and the people who have ulterior motive that run down amateur builders designs to sell their product.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  9. Beav222

Beav222 Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome.

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Well that wasn't so hard.
    Matches my experience and desire almost exactly.
    Except I don't have such a big plan.

But I wonder why you think people have an ulterior motive to run down Amateur builders(?) or designers(?) or both?

If you are talking about professional designers you have one motive right up front - to sell plans.
    But I think you do a dis-service to most on this forum. Most spend their free time to try and help builders. They do have some experience.
    And most builders never get back the cost of materials. That's if they ever finish.

But most of us non professionals know it all anyway.

Have fun.

11. Beav222

Beav222 Junior Member

You totally missed the point.

thus far you haven’t provided anything I’ve asked for except mental ************.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Such a pleasant thread ! :rolleyes: May I enquire how many hours you expect to spend on this ? I know you said 5 years, but is that a working part-time calculation ?

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Beav222, you are a lucky person, you have the time and money to do what you like most. I hope you enjoy this project.
    In addition to telling us your adventure, if you have any technical or constructive doubts, you will surely have them, this forum, if you know how to ask, will give you very valid answers.
    Good luck.

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

You are either going to realize you can't restrict comments to what you want, or you are going to get banned for being nasty.
    Your choice.

15. Beav222

Beav222 Junior Member

I didn’t intend for the trolls to come out this soon but I’m glad you have a genuine interest. Most builders have logged an average of 4000 hrs. If you have any experience you could cut that to 3500. Building is not for everyone but it is rewarding. I have a full time job so I work on the boat in my spare time. If you don’t mind are you building?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.