French Rower Rescued

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Jul 7, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Boston, Mass.

A French engineer who set out to row alone across the Atlantic Ocean was rescued just one day into his trip because his boat was being rocked by rough seas approx. 50 miles off Cape Cod.

He spent 3 hours in the hospital recovering from dehydration & vertigo.

Tim

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Oh! why bother?

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Come on Walrus, french are people to, right? :)

I just hope the bill for his rescue is not coming out of my (a tax payers) pocket. Charge him or send it (the bill) to France.

That holds true for many such things, ie, "stunts". Before long they will pass laws to restrict adventureous endevours of all kinds. Then those that are truly qualified & prepared to undertake them will be denied.

Most likely he was not ready for such an attempt. As evidence of this consider that he was dehydrated after one day. And "rough water" rocking the boat, come on, what in the he... do you expect? Your trying to cross the bloody Atlantic Ocean!

I'd say run these folks down a Class 5 whitewater river first, then let the guide who took them down say yeah or nay. I ran rivers before ever encountering rough seas. In my case at least I found I was able to keep my head together, and though maybe I was "concerned" at times, I never became imobilized by fear. Knock on wood (my head :) ).

Have a good one Walrus. Watch your back for Frosty!

Tim

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Here is the boat and detail of the aborted trip:
    http://www.atlantique2007.com/Eng-total.htm

He had a 6 hour shakedown cruise in a lake prior to getting into the ocean.

He got into difficulty in reported 15 knot winds!!!!! Waves were 5 to 10ft.

It is hard to imagine someone being this silly and inexperienced. Most of the project was funded by sponsorship. Surely you would think sponsors would be more discerning.

Certainly it is mind boggling for me.

Rick W.

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Yes Sir!

Tim

6. safewalrus

Tim I didn't mean why bother saving him, more a case of why bother going? there again looking at the fallout of his trip maybe the original was close, but not because he's French!

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dont back pedal now Walrus we all know what you meant. Your hatred for the French has gone too far now.

I was in a French resteraunt last night and I said to the waiter "do you have frogs legs " he said "yes sir'

So I said 'well hop over the counter and get us a pork pie'

Im sorry about that --its just the French theme got so strong and,-- well it wasnt nearly as disrespectfull as what Walrus said.

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

"Thursday's rescue was Girard's second aborted attempt at the crossing. He originally set out last Saturday, but was towed back to shore a few hours later after he discovered a leak in the hull of his vessel."

Rick, I have to agree with you. Is this guy for real? The website says the boat was years in design and months in construction, and the whole project was 3 years in development.

The plan for a hole in the hull is get a tow back to port, then he aborts the whole thing when he discovers that the Atlantic has waves?

I hope the sponsors have a "non-completion" clause in their contracts, making him responsible to repay their investment if he doesn't make the voyage.

Tim,

I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're right. This type of nonsense plays into the hands of the over-zealous regulator types, who would love any excuse to make such voyages illegal, screwing things up for legitimate adventurers who know how to prepare properly and to evaluate risks.

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

No, you're not. :D :D

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Don't understand it Frosty...Surely it's snails legs which are a French delicacy....

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Welcome back Charlie.

Yeah, this guy was a disatster waiting to happen. Least it took place close to shore.

Had one of us truly salty types been there when they first brought him in with the "hole" in his boat Saturday, we could have claimed seaman,s perogative and took a sledge hammer to his "boat".

Guess all those years of planning never envisioned a hole.

Tim

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

He had two sponsers, this is one of them...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. safewalrus

Frightening, but the thing that really scares me as Tim sez is that anybody who really plans this sort of trip will be banned from doing it! Which will be sad for the maritime community and the world in general!

And wot pray is wrong with snails legs - a rare deli-crassy if ever there was one (or two) especially like mine boiled in lube oil - oops sorry wrong thread!

I can only blame the fact that Frosty is on here, confuses me! See his name and I think of drivel!

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Thanks, Tim, it's good to be back here. Workwise, of course, I'm paying the price for taking a few days off! :(

On reviewing the information about this project, it seems that, actually, a lot of careful preparation was made. A lot of research, design and testing of the boat before, during, and after construction. The weak link, however, was always the guy himself. In his brief bio, the very first statement is that he has no sea experience. Then he goes on to describe his fitmess regimen and the secret new oars he has designed. The photos of what are called tests "at sea" are all within sight of land and in calm water. The boat's self-righting test was performed with no load and in waist deep water. Another photo, titled "First Waves", is laughable, as it shows barely noticeable ripples.

I suspect that it never occured to him or his friends to charter a small boat and actually go out to sea to experience what it is like. I think he thought he was prepared for anything, but when he found himself being rocked about by 10' waves, he "saw the elephant" and decided it was too much for him.

15. ba67676767

ba67676767 Junior Member

Looks like some of you have quite a bit of ocean rowing experience.

Here's the deal: My son and I are wanting to build the ultimate 2-man sailing/rowing vessel. We want to sail / row it to Catalina Island (approximately 26 miles off the California coast. We have a lot of sailing experience, and have sailed larger sailboats to Catalina.

We have no real rowing experience. We do not want to repeat the Frenchman's experience.

Any advice, comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.