East coast earth quake

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bntii, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Ah, okay. I've been by there but didn't remember the name, thanks.

You know what the seismologist said about the recent earthquake?

"Don't blame me, it's not my fault!"

-Tom

2. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

"Not my fault!" sounds more like a chorus from politicians in Washington. OK, so tell em its a warning: you guys get your act together, next time your cage will really get rattled!

3. Submarine Tom

Brian,

New information, although a little sensational:

Discovery Channel: "Monster Quake: Are We Next"

I've worked with half of these guys. Some sobering new conclusions.

-Tom

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Since that quake there has been one in New Brunswick and one in British Columbia--looks like the north American plates are restless

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

At least they aren't shiftless!

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Websters definition of "shiftless" lack of ambition or energy, hope you're wrong re the "not shiftless" Prefer they were shiftless, especially in California and British Columbia, the love hate relationship between the North American and Pacific plates. :)

Hoyte just noticed your location: for about a year now my brainwashed reading has been "land of the FREE". (FEE)Ya that also applies on this side of the border amazing how that temporary war tax has brought us closer together---

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi All, Just came across this thread, I have been in 7.4 on New Ireland PNG and that was "a hoot" as we were indulging in afternoon tea (gin & tonic - for medicinal purposes) and quickly moved to the front garden to watch and see any Tsunami - we got a small wave of about 5 Meters - we were quite close to the epicentre which was offshore to the east...

The ground had 3 distinctive movements, after we had moved outdoors to view the spectacle... We all watched with legs apart, tall drinks securely resting between our outstretched legs with our arms behind as counter support... A shaking vibration, a slow wave coming from the front of us, (the epicentre), in amazement as the ground moved as easily as if it was water, and a jerky savage and circular motion that was felt more than seen... Coconuts were falling like machine gun fire... Plates and things hanging or resting on shelves and tables inside the house crashed to the floor... All of us then rushed to the back of the house to record (photograph) the creek rapids going in reverse... Who said water does not go up cascades... :D That was sometime around 1975 - always a good yarn to relate...

Another earthquake struck seconds after the plane, (A Cesna delivered from USA by Amy Johnson?), I was in took off from Rabaul for Danfu on the east coast of New Ireland... The third quake I experienced I was on a 50 ft wooden WWII workboat from Rabaul around the bottom of New Ireland to the plantation at Manmo... I had fears that the prop-shaft had broken and that, as a consequence we would sink, never to be recovered... That was the scariest one, but once felt on a boat, I am less concerned by noises of which I cannot find the cause... Quakes under 5 do not count as they are considered part of the week, like smoke blowing off on one of the 4 active volcanoes surrounding Rabaul...

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Had one off the east coast of Newfoundland in 1929 (N.Y.stock crash year) think it was a Mid Atlantic Ridge event - the resultant Tsunami killed several hundreds--homes with entire sleeping families were swept out to sea.

9. hoytedow

10. Submarine Tom

And yesterday we had a M6.3 just west of Vancouver Island, about 20 km deep, on the Nootka Fault.

-Tom

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Are these recent quakes in USA in "expected" earthquake zones?

12. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Tom will have to fill this out better than I but I remember something along the lines of the east coast subduction zone being long dormant. Part of this is why the formally very large mountain range down the east coast has been almost fully eroded away- erosion is beating uplift...

I also seem to remember hearing something along the lines of the Obama administration having been smote by GOD in the recent quake. This was just last week so I don't remember all of the significant details of this later point....

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/29/bachmann-hurricane-and-earthquake-a-wake-up-call-from-god/

13. hoytedow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_the_Appalachians

It is my understanding they once matched the Himalayas in their proportions. It is a chain older than the Himalayas by much.

"As Pangea rifted apart a new passive tectonic margin was born and the forces that created the Appalachian, Ouachita, and Marathon Mountains were stilled. Weathering and erosion prevailed, and the mountains began to wear away.[2]"

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thats correct -- the Appalachian mountains running from the southern United States to the northern coast of Newfoundland were once larger and higher than the present day Rockies. Today in comparison they are but hills. The Mid Atlantic Ridge is now the most active area in our neck of the woods.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

15. Submarine Tom

I don't know anything more about the east coast range than you do my friend.

I am not a geologist or a seismologist but rather a Mechanical Engineering Technologist who worked in seismology for five years here on the west coast.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.