I want to build this boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jllcjl85, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jllcjl85

Jllcjl85 New Member

My dad fished in these boats when he was a boy. We want to build one.

We took measurements, but we don't know where to go from here.

I've searched and can't find plans for it.

Any thoughts on where to begin?

Attached Files:

2. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

You say you took measurements does that mean you have access to an original? If so I would have to say that would be the best place to start. Poke around check it out all of it.... As far as building goes I would say upside down on a jig would be the easiest way to go. Make the jig to hold the frames in the possitions (or as close as you can get to the possitions) on the original notch the top and bottom to recieve the chine and sheer logs. Then with some put the sheer and chine logs in place use large pieces of cardboard to make patterns by tacking them onto the hull where the side planking would go. You would now take your patterns down and transfer the lines onto your planking (in this case probably plywood arranged so the best side faces out) which is laid out on the flattest surface you can find that will leave you room to assemble the full pannel (a garage is ussualy pretty good for this) I would after cutting the plywood to shape for the sides scarf them together now and fiberglass both sides along the joint well with 3-4 layers of 6oz cloth and epoxy resin (Let the resin set up well ussually over night before turning it over and glassing the other side) Take your rough pannels and attatch them to the frames being held by the jig I'd use common gavinized screws for this no need to go and spend lots of money on stainless or worse bronze (although the later ones last much longer, it's unlikely the boat will last long enough to need refastening if used very hard) now after you get them secured to the framing make the bottom edges sit as near to exactly flush and level to the bottom of the chine log(since the boat is upside down at this point still it's not that hard since the bottom is currently on top) I would now at this point make the patterns for the transoms and repeat the same steps for those and then do the same for the bottom pannels go along and fiberglass all the seams at the very least there is no really pressing need to do the whole hull but it will add to the lifespan of the boat (resale value will still be nill though) Finish off the interor with 1" thick stock backed up by a 2x3 for the twarts and directly screwed in for the "decking" shown on either end. I would recomend using a double layer of 1/2" plywood for the transom because of the motor going there and epoxy the layers together effectivly making a 1" thick transom and back it all up with a good strong knee that terminates just BELLOW where the motor clamps on. Like I said that is how I would go about it, not the way they were probably actually built and it also assumes that you know all the exact dimmensions of the original... what you'll end up with is a very Similar appearing/handling craft not a replica. But you first would need to spend alot of time with an original taking lots of measurements of everything.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I doubt the builders worked from plans....

Looks like the sides are just 1x12's, and the ends made from 2x12 lumber. I would imagine the builders nailed the sides to a transom at one end, bent them around a couple of center molds, and nailed them to the other transom. They may have just tacked things together at first, so they could mark the angles on the sides of the transoms...It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like they also planed or cut the bottom of the side planks forward, and left them full-sized aft.

Then they turned them over, inserted the chine logs, and nailed a bottom on. The bottom was probably also solid boards, but you'd be better off using plywood.

They flipped them back over, nailed in the thwarts and chair supports, and hit the water.

I did something similar for my flat bottomed canoe build thread, although the boat I built isn't nearly as burdensome and wasn't designed for power. And I added three frames, since I didn't have any thwarts. Looking at it might give you some pointers on that sort of seat-of-the-pants building anyway... here's the link.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/wo...ation/building-flat-bottomed-canoe-33266.html

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The more I study your pic's of those fishing boats, the more I like them. Had I seen them before I built mine (akin to pirogues, and derived from Caddo Lake bateaus in East Texas/Louisiana), I might have gone in that direction instead.

Can you tell us where they were built and used? Also, does your dad remember if there was a specific name or term for them?

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.