sealing up fuel tank fittings

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ducaes, May 23, 2005.

1. ducaes

ducaes Junior Member

hi guys, need your suggestion/view on this ..

i'm buliding frp tank with vinylester resin..problem is that how should i go about sealing off the fuel bronze fiittings for the fuel line i.e. adding sealant for leak prevention..
    previously i use 3M 5200 but recently there been complain on the fuel line being clogged up by the disintegrate sealant..been told that 3M 5200 is not fuel/oil resistant..anyone out there can recommend any good sealant that can do the job?

thanks in advance ..

hudson

Attached Files:

2. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

We used to use a really good product, but damned if I can remember what it was. I'll make a phone call tomorrow and find out and I will get back to you.
    Peace, Joey

3. ducaes

ducaes Junior Member

thanks..

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you are putting metal fittings to frp, epoxy may be a solution.

5. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Contact 3M, Locktite, ITW Plexus or Sika. They all make good fuel grade sealers. I found a high quality oil resistant instant gasket material that would work great at my local hardware store. Locktite makes it, and it is orange.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.