Earthing a wooden boat

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by stuhaynes, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thanks for the posts. So, if one were to build a small wooden boat, my definition of small is 10' to 30', would you incorporate a steel strip along the keel bringing it above to the deck, to serve two purposes, one as the common ground and to protect the keel?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would ask, how complex an electrical system? If it's just running the engine and Nav lights, no. If you start adding things like interior lighting, refrigerator, radios, GPS, and on and on then yes. If you bring Alternating Current aboard then definitely yes. Also you said keel? Is this a sailboat with lead or iron? then it is a yes . If it is a powerboat with a wood or fiberglass keel, no metal then no. (may seem obvious but I've seen some strange things.)

A 10 to 20 foot boat. I can't imagine why. A 20 foot to 30 maybe. As I said, it depends on the complexity of the electrical system.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I would use stainless instead of steel because it'll live longer and connect it to the negative pole of the DC wiring. In case there is any AC wiring, I would also use it as protective ground. The AC neutral must stay isolated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.