Tiki 36

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by david@boatsmith, Aug 3, 2010.

1. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

This will be the boat I build for myself next. This is a Tiki 30 that has the sheer raised 12" and the hull stretched 6' with a modern rig. I am excited with this boat. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

nemier likes this.
  2. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

Why not just build the larger tiki as drawn by JWD?

3. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

The next boat up from the Tiki 30 is the Tiki 38 Tiki 30 weighs about 2200 lbs, the T38 weighs about 6600 lbs. Sail area on the Tiki 30 is about 400 sqft, T38 600. Triple the weight, more windage and only 1/2 again as much sail area.
    The Tiki 30 is a boat that sails well. I have sailed the Tiki 30 several thousand miles in the last two years. I took the parts of the 30 I liked and tried to improve the parts I didn't. I am not looking for a liveaboard boat, I am looking for a fun boat to sail and spend several weeks at a time cruising in the shallow waters of my part of the world. I have offered this boat for sale at $155,000. We'll see what happens. David
    [​IMG]

4. Chris Pinner

Chris Pinner New Member

Hi,

Did you ever build this boat? I am looking at the wharram website and it's not listed. This particular design looks very elegant. I am interested in obtaining the study plans and hopefully the full plans and a later date.

Many thanks

Chris

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Chris,

Just in case David doesn't show up here, you might try it through his website, and he has posted an email address at the end of this post #3.

Good luck !

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019

6. Chris Pinner

Chris Pinner New Member

Many thanks. I want to build a tiki boat. The family will deem the 30 as too small and the 38 is totally on the limits of my building area. This 36 would fit very nicely.

Unfortunately I spoke to wharram's themselves and they said was far harder to build the 36 than their 38, and its smaller. I am looking at the tangaroa boat but I personally dont find the aesthetics as pleasing to the eye as the tiki's.

I have been the persons website and discovered he is dedicated proffessional builder, obtaining the plans would be a little tricky I would guess.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.