engine problems (25 hp suzuki 4 stroke)

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by fish004, Aug 18, 2013.

1. fish004

fish004 New Member

I recently purchased a 16 foot aluminum boat this spring with a newer 25 hp suzuki 4 stroke tiller engine. I have only had it out about 5 hours so far due to being busy. Today I had it out on the lake and it ran perfect all day started first pull and everything. After being out trolling for two hours I drove it in at full speed. Just before i reached the dock I slowed down and the engine light came on and I lost power and what was a quiet smooth engine started to run rough. I shut it off as soon as this happened as i was right at the dock. I then grabbed my truck and trailer and started my boat again, started right away but still ran with issues so i turned it off right away and paddled it to the trailer. Checked engine oil and it was ok but forgot to look if engine was still pissing out water. Can anyone give me any advice of what I am looking at for problems. I am more handy with construction and not at all with engines. I was told this engine was only used one year but was bought a a new non-current.

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Water in the gas as you got to the bottom of the tank? I'd start it back up with fresh gas and check for coolant flow.

3. fish004

fish004 New Member

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I had near a full tank of gas but possibly there was water in it. Hopefully it's something simple like you suggest and I never got sold a lemon engine

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.