Dyneema whipping thread

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Stumble, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I have been looking for some .8 or 1mm whipping thread for some halyards and whatnot. So far I have been unable to find anything close, either I can find a 1.5mm or fishing line. Any suggestions for sources that don't require a $150 spool?

2. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

Robline makes some - FSE WD-1W - I got mine at Fisheries Supply here in Seattle $ 15 to $ 20 for what looks like 50 meters or 164 feet - Fisheries site looks like they have a spec or so wrong but I have a spool in front of me I have had for a while. 1/32 inch or 1 mm - you should be able to fine it locally with the part number - I looked on West Marine and it did not look like they had it

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=156301&iid=FSE WD-1W&keywords=187518

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

That's too bad, West Marine (not that I'm a fan) was going to be my suggestion...

-Tom

4. Saildude

Saildude Junior Member

Might try your local West Marine just in case - some of them have a Rigging Department and this would be something I would expect the riggers would use, also some local stores might have a few things not in the catalog. Can't hurt. Also places that supply commercial fishermen would be a good try - you now have a part number and manufacture which is a good first step.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Also, WM's don't usually stock 10 % of what's in their catalogue. They can usually get what's in the catalogue (on-line) in about a week.

-Tom

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Thanks Michael, I've been trying to figure out whose ropes were on my boat, now I think I know. Just in time too, I need a couple of new sheets.

8. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I actually use a lot of different types of rope on the boat, since no line does everything equally well.

Roller furler halyards - dyneema since its low stretch and abrasion resistance is great, and you can size for strength since the line isn't working you get very light line holding it up.

Main sheets - usually dyneema with a cover, high strength, low stretch, but the cover is needed to make it workable.

Ect.. I should probably make a list..l.

9. michael pierzga

The problem with that stuff is that it goes hard like steel after a season. Jumps out of winch self tailers. I dont like the stuff. Genoa sheets grow a s s holes and foul blocks in tacks I only use it on running backs , jib and main halyard.

10. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Michael, I have no idea what you mean by 'that stuff' dyneema is a single braid torsionally stable line. It basically can't kink, short of winding it on an electric winch... As for it getting hard, well I have been using it all over the place, and after 5 years it is still in good shape, and supple enough to splice as easily as new line.

11. michael pierzga

Dont know what happens inside the rope. Im sailing with 20 mm dyneema genoa sheets. A bit oversize because of self tailor geometry but I can assue you that when tacking you BREAK and cast off the last three turns on the primary, you will get an as s hole locked in the turning block. To soften up I have a garden hose rigged in the sheet cockpit and ...prepare to tack ..means , hose down the dyneema, softed it ..then pray it runs thru the turning block

12. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

If you are using a line with an 160,000lbs breaking strength for jib sheets...

13. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Depends on how many lines you need to whip. I have used kevlar fishing line (e.g. spider wire) for whipping lines/ropes. It is very durable to say the least and you can get quite fancy with it if you have a large sewing needle.

Something else you might try was a trick I learned on my own with epoxy.

Basically, you

1. Cut the line until you have a nice, blunt end (with light fraying on the tips of course).

2. Apply some epoxy to about an inch or so.

3. Wrap the tip with a piece plastic (e.g. milk jug or cool whip plastic works great). I use rubber bands, etc. to ensure it's very snug.

Let it dry, remove the plastic and you have a nice shoe lace tip. :)

14. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Joseph,

Neat idea about epoxy, but I am not a fan of this type of whipping" nothing really wrong with it, it I tend to be a bit more conservative. I just like the way a good whipping looks, and it gives me an excuse to have line all over the house. :)

15. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I found pretty large spools of the stuff right in West Marine in a pinch a few years back. Look where the kits with the fids and stuff are.

They carry it in most stores and it sure wasn't $150.

Alternatively, if you are near any commercial fishing supply places in LA, they'll have that, plus hundreds of other thing you never knew you could get for $10 or so. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.