molding question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by danilo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. danilo

danilo Junior Member

Hi,
    i'm in the process of making a plug for a side mounted console.
    My question is can i use epoxy as a base coat instead of gel coat ?
    Will there be problems to release the console from the plug and will the finish be
    smooth ? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanx

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...yes you can almost use anything to make a plug, as the plug will generally be destroyed after the mould has been made, but remember the plug will be stressed considerably as the mould layup occurs, so make it strong enough to do the job.
    Sometimes the plug is actually a real boat that is used, sometimes it is going to be a real boat after the mould has been removed and sometimes it is simply scrapped after the mould has been released.

3. danilo

danilo Junior Member

Okay,but the question remains can i use just epoxy to do the whole process from plug to mold to console or is it mandatory to use gel coat ?If I have to use gel coat i have to order it and it has to be flown in to Suriname and that would set me back a month at least.Is it possible to use gel coat thickened with glass bubbles as the base coat ?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use plaster of paris to make a mold. The most important thing is that the filler and fairing compounds don't come loose with the heat of the curing resin.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, epoxy is fine Danilo, though often less costly materials are used, for obvious reasons. Welcome to the forum.

6. danilo

danilo Junior Member

Thanks guys i'll keep you up to date.
    The plug will be finished somewhere next week
    after that i'm gonna make the plug and see how it goes.

7. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

what is the beast release agent for plaster , I am making some small glass parts?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.