.dxf files??

Discussion in 'Props' started by Steamboat_Ed, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Steamboat_Ed

Steamboat_Ed New Member

Hi gang; I'm wanting to print a half scale model of a controllable pitch propeller, 4 bladed, for a high speed steam engine I want to put in my boat. I'm not the best draftsman in the world but I do have rudimentary skills in CAD. I'm looking for .dxf format files of propeller blades that I can tweak for this application. Has anyone got links to share? Most everything I've found has been in .stl format which is just about impossible to work with.

2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

dxf is a 2d file format. You can cut things out of plate, but it is just flat. The STL formats you see are real 3d parts that you could make a prop out of. The problem is that to print a 3d prop from metal, like aluminum would cost about a good bit. I was getting quotes on a 8 inch diameter 7 blade impeller for a waterjet and the cost was over $7000 to print it. We ended up printing a wax pattern and then investment casting it for much much less.

3. Adler

Adler Senior Member

What is the size of the hub ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.