Dutchman tunnel boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by baldy, May 14, 2002.

1. scott steffe

scott steffe Junior Member

looks a like

wow i kinda made a hydro that has a lot of the same lines as this dutchman
    how fast did this boat go
    im a new designer just signed up
    www.allfiberglassrepairs.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. largecar91

largecar91 New Member

They ran these hulls with singles and twin engines. I am not sure of the speeds. I would guess around 70 with a single engine and maybe in the 80's with twins.

3. tlturbo

tlturbo New Member

Old thread I know but still fun. I bought a tangerine Dutchman about 1970 in Dayton OH from Salt Walther (Walther Marine in W Carrollton, OH and YES, the Salt Walther that crashed at Indy). At the time it had a 125 Merc BP on it. I moved to Ft Myers FL in Jan 72 and brought it with me. Blew the foot and no one could fix the BP unit so I got a new 140 Merc short shaft. It would run about 81. The hot boat scene in SW FL was me, a couple Allisons and the v-drives. We had an informal SW FL Powerboat Racing Assoc and raced every couple months. Always won the outboard class. Sold it about 74to a guy on Sanibel and got a Howard V-Drive V bottom then later a Hondo Picklefork Drag Hydro with 468 Checy - now owned by Rush Raciing.

I remember there being a larger green version Dutchman on Indian Lake in OH that had a picklefork nose and twin outboards. My Dutchman was a fun boat but I DID stand it up on the stern a couple times. Thankfully it never went over. The aerodynamics and light weight probably wouldn't allow any of the bigger motors today on it. Talk about pulling a Wheelie HA HA

Anyway, just wanted to post and say thanks for a fun boat.

4. largecar91

largecar91 New Member

Cool story. Mine is finally about ready for paint. It is going to run at our OPC race at Portsmouth,Ohio in August. I have a 125 super BP stacker on it. I am hoping for mid to upper 70's with it. It should be nice and loud! Mine has the back cowling. I replaced the stringers and core. The transom was still rock solid. I would to see pics of yours. Here is a picture of mine before it was rebuilt. The one at Indian Lake was a 20'. I found one in a storage lot several years ago and then it vanished. The Walthers had "The Boathouse" marine in West Carrolton,OHio. They always had a lot of cool boats around.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. tlturbo

tlturbo New Member

Hi

Sorry but I don't have any pics of the boat. But it was exactly like the Tangerine one in the sales brochure. It had black seats and indoor/outdoor carpet and was white underneath. There was also a black stripe down the center of the nose.

I wonder what happened to it?

6. racer914

racer914 New Member

Nice to see you got that boat ready for paint! I finally got busy on mine and pulled the motor off 2 weeks ago...sent it in to have it gone thru and refreshed. Soon to start on the hull. We need to stay in touch.

Dave
    racer914@earthlink.net

7. Diggerodell

Diggerodell New Member

Just come up on this post from a search. My uncle and dad use to race cars back in the day out ofHuntington, wv. Anyways they had a dutchman made for an inboard so the could run the racecar engines in the boat. We still have the boat in my uncle's garage and it will be left to me in his will.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.