Reinforcement of Runabout

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NA_OSE, Oct 8, 2013.

1. NA_OSE

NA_OSE Naval Architect

I am designing a runabout and wanted to know the reinforcement requirements for a boat of 4m x 1.6m. Can anyone suggest any thread or recommend any classification rules which mention the frame spacing? This is for a fiberglass boat construction.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

The requirement is very simple: the boat should not suffer any damage when dropped into water from a height of 2-2.5 meters.

The norm is ISO 12215-5:2008 (Annex B)

3. NA_OSE

NA_OSE Naval Architect

Thank you. Let me got through ISO 12215-5:2008.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

5. NA_OSE

NA_OSE Naval Architect

Thank you TANSL, but how can i convert the language to english?

6. NA_OSE

NA_OSE Naval Architect

sorry. got it in preferences.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you have any questions or want to make any inquiries about SCT or about ISO 12215, please e.mail me to : 657677483@orange.es

8. NA_OSE

NA_OSE Naval Architect

Since I do not have any ISO standards, can anyone suggest DNV, ABS, RINA or IRS class rules for small boat scantlings. Based on IRS class, the bottom plate thickness is calculated as 9mm. Is this very conservative? Can you suggest the transverse frame spacing usually used in small boats?

On another note, I have designed the hull in Delftship and imported the design to rhino. But in rhino I only get the edges. Can anyone show me how to create the hull surface. I wanted to create sectional views from rhino for issuing construction drawings.

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If you're going to design boats, I recommend purchasing the ISO standard. Not cheap but it is dedicated specifically to these vessels and in some countries, and sometimes, it is mandatory to calculate the scantlings of the boats according to its requirements.

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

As far as I know, by now nearly all class rules are demanding the use of ISO 12215 for scantling of small pleasure boats, so I am afraid you will have to get a copy of ISO standards.
    And as far as I know (again) this is the cheapest place where you can buy a copy of these standards: http://www.evs.ee/shop
    Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.