Dutch barges

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dskira, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Quite beautiful picture.

[​IMG]

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

what i notice is that, there is almost no breeze on the water, a very tender boat But yes a beaut pic
    perhaps when she fills they walk home?

3. Elmo

Elmo Junior Member

:D :D :D

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

When you sail in protected water it is impossible to know the wind speed by the water state. Mostly on a picture.
    A good deck protect them from water ingress and the capsize happens sometime, in racing, but rarely in cruising. the people who sail them are realy good sailor, and know their barge capacity. One of them use to cross Atlantic North.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Interresting, just a funny thing to do:
    The metacenter on the picture looks to be, from the black waterline close to the deck, if the center of gravity is at the waterline due to inside ballasting, she still at a very safe angle.
    It is just an exercise, not scientific :)

6. Guest62110524

Danial
    I sailed dingys from age 13 nand raced til 18 in dinghys, then keel boats and sometimes on a Hobart maxi that had won once. I think I can safely say, that you can see breeze on water in any pic, same as when watching TV coverage of AC and the like, pressure is quite plain to see
    I never post by guess in any thread, but by my observations and hands on as I went through life.
    I see that sail is one big sail, we had similar in NZ Mullet boats, huge sail similar in body to thsi one, , big reserve buoyancy, but could be sailed under as they raced them, still do in Auckland
    cheers

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Awww, the guy is scooping up fish there. Why else would a boat lean over that much ;)

8. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

what I find interesting about this pic is that at first glance it appears to be looking at the stern, but that is bow-on.

9. Guest62110524

hey well spotted!! yes!! I though was double ender:) But is the head,sl hidden?

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Even if you raced at ten years old you can't know the wind from a picture without knowing where the picture was taken.
    NZ or Africa, doesn't matter. YOU CAN'T. ok?
    Mullet or not YOU CAN'T. Ok?
    And you just posted a big GUESS.

11. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

'Botters' such as these are double-enders. Flat bottomed and usually with leeboards.

Handsome boats in general and they've been around for a couple hundred years.

[​IMG]

12. susho

susho Composite builder

The first one is a skutsje, a flat bottom boat, used for transport from about 1830 to around WW2. My great-grandfather was born on one.
    Every year competitions are held. One of them is followed by a couple 100000's of people, on the water, by radio, TV and internet.
    They are quite fast, most modern "sharp hulls" can't keep up with them in a windward course.
    The one above is a Lemster-aak, they find their origins in fishing ships from lemmer, wich we call a vissermansaak(fishermans barge) nowadays. The Queen has one to, most of them are very luxureus.

This is a botter:
    [​IMG]

It's not as round as a lemsteraak, and has a lower stern to haul the nets in more easy. Mostly build in wood, and used around the former southernsee. It has some longer daggerboards. An other part of my family used these for fishing. My grandfather has fished on one.

There are a lot more of these types of boats. Like: schokker, hogaars, staverse bol, schouw, etc.

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I quote myself for you to read again woosh.
    It is not rude, just accurate. You like it or not I realy don't care.
    No, I am from any conspiracy, and yes I have great admiration for Richard.
    But this is not of your business.
    And yes I still sailing and enjoy it very much thanks.

14. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Excellent Susho, thanks for the summary.

Our boat is canoe sterned. There are some very poorly designed/ugly canoe sterns, but these dutch boats (some would argue they are the origins of canoe-sterned sailboats) are beautiful in my book.

15. Guest62110524

so why air personal letters in a forum? did I mention any name here?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.