Dutch Barge long distance cruisers

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, Apr 18, 2006.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Put me on your mailing list when the pics & plans are ready.

;-)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

I appreciate this design is aimed at the US market, but it might be worth correcting a few of the European 'facts' quoted recently!

The standard beam for the 'broad' canals of the UK is 14ft, although some are a little wider and a few narrower. 14ft was twice the standard narrow canal boat beam of 7ft.

I know the Clyde Puffers were a common sight on the Crinan and Caledonian Canals (and possible parts of the Clyde and Forth Canal, but I doubt they were ever seen on the Leeds Liverpool - they would have become jammed under the first bridge!

I think of the European Canals, the ones in Brittany are narrowest at 14.75ft, but the rest are wider, most way more.

3. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

I appreciate the information. I have been on a Dutch Commercial Barge from Ghent to Rotterdam a few years ago as well as a short cruise on a narrowboat just outside London. The 14+ foot width may pose some problems on UK canal sharp turns but it would fit. I would hesitate to make the beam any narrower in that stability would be affected somewhat. After the drawings are complete, I'll post them on this thread and then you will have a better idea of their utility in your area.

4. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi, just found this site. Anyone interested in a barge yacht should look at Charley Wards Thames Barge inspired yachts, do a google search to find his website. I have no connections to him but find his designs very appealing.
    During the first and second world wars barges were built in concrete and were quite successful. Many were sunk to form breakwaters and some can still be seen at Sharpness in England as a protective barrier for the disused arm where pleasure boats moor on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal.
    George Beuhler, the Seattle based naval architect has some interesting ideas on boat construction that may be applicable to a sailing or motor barge design. He uses construction yard timber of fairly heavy section and produces designs that are suitable for amateur builders.
    I am about to start construction of a cruising sailboat based on the barge style hull, she will have bilge keels and a skeg but will only draw four feet on a length of 45 feet and a beam of 12.
    Thames barges have sailed across the Atlantic to the West Indies and were designed to be sailed by a man and a boy, so are very easy to handle. They may form an interesting basis for a design in steel, concrete or wood and they make great liveaboards similar to the Dutch barges.

5. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

U.S. style Dutch Barge

Currently the ongoing design for the Dutch style barge is meant for relatively calm waters of the ICW, rivers and canals of the U.S. and Canada. The primary goal is to develop a design that is economical to build, maintain and operate. The preliminary design measures 33+ feet by 14 feet with an 18 inch draft and is a composite of sheet plywood, fiberglass and epoxy and powered by a 35 hp to 45 hp diesel. Due to the generous beam, it would be quite easy to stretch the length to some greater length. Other construction mediums have been closely evaluated, but both steel and ferrocement are outside of the skill envelope of most amateur builders who are also on a limited budget. While having nice sheer lines and being seaworthy for the intended use, the initial design might be considered a "Back Yard Dutch Barge" as due to the dimensions,that is the place where one would probably be built. Building plans and first vessel should be ready in late Fall.

6. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Can we get some preliminary or conceptual sketches to wet our appetites? ;)

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

October is a long ways away, so if you can, Greenseas, put me on a mailing list or at least make enough noise and stink so I might notice when you offer plans. ;)

8. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

SamSam and Knotty Bouyz

Yep, I'll put you on the list. Just to give you some idea of where we started with the design, take a look at www.Berkeley-Engineering.com and read all the information in their web site. Both the 14' 3" tug and the construction method lend themselves to amateur construction. Under the 14'3" boat page you will see one that is stretched to 16 feet, (green hull) and in the "tugs for sale" page you will see one stretched to 25 feet. This is the beginning, but engineering changes to preserve the nice sheer line and tumblehome stern is taking time as is the dimensions to beef up the structural components. After that, the whole process is submitted to CAD in order to verify the design and develop flat patterns that are used in cutting. The mechanics of structure for the vessel are relatively simple. Within the web site notice the prime deficiency in the stretched boats...the freeboard hasn't been increased in proportion to the length. The higher freeboard is necessary in giving the barge it's interior volume that prevents having to design an overly high superstructure. Two times 14'3" plus 4 feet. Changing a basic design to fit other requirements goes far beyond simply doubling the size.

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Canal Elevator, Rotational Boat Transport

I thought a mention of this canal subject was appropriate here

1963 In, after 150 yrs of existence of this water way with 11 locks the construction of a huge water carousel started. This extraordinary idea was finished in 2002 and became a symbol of Scotland. This invention saves not only time but also energy

This is the only rotational boat transporter in the world. It has two arms and each arm forms a kind of huge tub filled with water. Boats enter the tub, then the tub locks up and the huge arm starts rotating.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21519

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

been watching this thread with Interest
    Myself and jbnautika here on forum have pretty much wrapped our design for a canal , coastal and river boat for Eu market,
    She is 14.06, 3.8. 16000kg with extra long range tanks, alloy hull and decks glassed ply houses Moderate vee sections and box keel for ballast and manouverabilty
    She will have a strong 4cyl Deere or Cummins, which will burn .6 gal 4.5 the legal sp on the canals, but which will be powerful enough to stem the Rhine

11. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Brian,

The Anderton boat lift has been restored to full working order.

http://www.andertonboatlift.co.uk/

However, the great nut shrinker is to be found on the Llangollen canal. Gentlemen, I give you the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct over the River Dee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontcysyllte_Aqueduct

One side has the towpath, but there aren't any rails on the other side to prevent the person steering to step off the narrowboat and over the edge!!!:( :( :( :( :(

The precursor of the Aqueduct is to be found in a field and could be brought back into use if the Shrewsbury canal is reopened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrewsbury_Canal

More information about canals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canals_of_the_United_Kingdom

Perry

12. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Good info Pericles

The information on the canals is really great. Unfortunately, in both the UK and US, early barge builders didn't put a high priority on safety rails either on the boats or aquaducts. As a matter of fact, safety rails were considered obstructions to loading and maneuvering. This applies to both barges and trad stern narrowboats. In reviewing many hundred of barges and narrowboats, the only safety rails installed were probably installed within the past few years by new owners. In our own design that is forth coming, we also have not designed safety rails in to the boat, but opted for wider decks walks and/or use of the cabin top to go forward for anchor handling and other chores.

13. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Branson Boats

Branson boats has a nice Luxemotor design for the 34' to 40' class in steel. Branson says that 34 feet is the ideal length for cruising. Our design that we're just completing in plywood is similar to the 34 foot Luxemotor except our stern is different in order to have an additional berth area. In the design process, we also discovered that the barge can be easily modified to be powered by a 50 horse power Four cycle outboard engine if desired. While the design does maintain the beautiful shear line, plumb bow and tumble home stern, it is easily built by amateurs. Rather than using butt joints, we have opted for scarf joints on the plywood panels as being stronger. The builder does lose 5 inches of wood on scarf joints but the joints are much stronger and 5 sheets of ply can be scarfed at one time using a 7 inch plane and belt sander. More as we get closer to a finished design product

14. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

here are our prelims
    the range is better than 5000 miles at river speeds
    the first the red boat is steel, 12.6m which was not designed by us , but is the one we based our concept upon as she has done 4 successful years in Europe, the new one is 14.6 mx3.8x1m, in heavy alloy with ply glassed houses
    She has two double cabins with ensuite, , thruster, hydraulic, powerful 4.5 l engine swinging a large screw through a 3:1 box and will be offered complete, that is ready to cruise with Cat B ce
    we are seeking markets in Eu
    IMO ply or any wood or glass is unsuitable for locks,
    this boat has a strong belting , 16mm thick, and one down by the waterline as some locks are low
    there are very significant advantages in alloy, especially with fuel tanks, no painting, the need not to paint at all below the upper belting
    We will be offering a 10 year hull warranty
    In the past with my high speed sportfishers I have given 5 years with no problems and have several yachts in service that have circumnavigated
    the box keel is important because with flat bottoms on rivers, you can get swept sideways, docking is made impossible without keel I have 3 Kiwi friends who made the mistake of having flat bottom The keel also has sealed lead ballastâ™ 

Attached Files:

15. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Building material comparisons

While steel boats are great. the currrent boats built of mild steel can't compare to those built a century ago of riveted black iron, and are still being used today. While initially nice, modern steel boats require more frequent expensive haul outs, sand blasting and recoating before antifouling paint is applied. The greatest difference is that steel boats are much too expensive for the average wage earner who wants a barge to either live on or cruise on with the wife and kids.

There are many vessels today that are built of plywood, fiberglass and epoxy that were built by amateurs with good guidance by professionals that have lasted well over a quarter of a century. The goal that we are working for is to finalize the design of a medium size Dutch Barge for amateur construction, but one that results in a professional appearance and handling capabilities with low economical diesel power and one that is within financial reach of the average guy. Few people these days have a disposable 1/4 to 1/2 million dollars that they can put in to a boat such as those pictured.

Give the average wage earner a project that he/she can afford and detailed plans where he/she feels that the project can be accomplished at a reasonable price and you have boats being built rather than dreams being washed away. Any DIY project has to be recognized as achievable from the outset. That's the goal.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.