Dufour Yachts Construction Methods, Mid 1990's

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by CloudDiver, May 17, 2017.

1. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

Looking at a 1994 Dufour F-39 (maybe the same as the Frers 39, both designed by German Frers)

Curious if anyone is familiar with general build specifications on these hulls done in the mid 90's, I can't find any solid info on some of the specs I would like to know;
    Keel; I'm assuming lead but you never know, could be cast iron.
    Laminate; Hoping they had moved to vinylester resin by this time, or is it still polyester?
    Rudder construction; general... don't want a wet rudder or shot post to deal with.
    Core material; Doubtful there is any hull coring at all, let alone any below the waterline but helpful to know for sure. Deck coring, fingers crossed its NOT plywood, but could be.

They only made a 160 or so of these hulls, only a few ended up in the U.S. I could find little to no evidence of any topside leaks, a little bit around the windows but negligible. There was water in the bilge so I have to make sure there is no leaks in keel/hull joint. Interestingly the mast is deck stepped, a large compression post sits on what appears to be a stainless steel support. Very little rust but what is there seems normal for 304 stainless at 23 years old.

Any info is helpful... I'd like to have a comfortable grasp of scantlings. General design characteristics tell me this hull is well suited for offshore passage but I'd like to be sure what her capabilities and limitations are.

2. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.