Duflex Cabinet Doors

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by stevemid, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Yep,its been cold here the last few weeks, im actually a Kiwi and lived in Sydney back in the late 60s, Bondi, Cremorn Point and Harbord and a few other places, one of the greatest harbors in the world imho.

Steve.

2. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Steve, i think my method works a lot better than the way schionning shows which is how we used to do it with plywood. Using the battery saw the kerf is maybe 1/16" which is just about right and it allows you to do all the straight cuts (which is most of it) running against a straight edge, and as i said before, if you use a thick straightedge, say, 3/4" you can tilt the saw up and slowly rotate it ( plunge cut) down into the work. For the corners you use the narrow curve cutting jigsaw blade which cuts the radius without fighting it. If you are careful it will be perfect, much better than doing the whole thing with the jigsaw. Back in 1980 we did the whole interior of an 80ft maxi raceboat with F board which is an aluminum honeycomb with fiberglass skins and we had routers set up with cutters that were like a rabbet cutter with top and bottom bearings so we could route out the aluminum from between the glass skins 3/8" deep and backfill with epoxy, pretty much like you are doing with the balsa. When i do a cutout with my method it is as fair as you would get with a cnc router. I hate wobbly jigsaw cut openings and agree they look amatuerish.

Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.