bolting in my quarter knee

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by robertgrandbois, May 18, 2010.

1. robertgrandbois

robertgrandbois Junior Member

I am restoring a wooden boat. I still have to put the plywood and fiber glass. Should i bolt the quarter knee to the transom and keel right away or wait till i fiber glass it first?

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Glass first for speed. You shouldn't need to use bolts if you glass it in, but if you are bolting, no sense also glassing the knee in. Glassing inside the boat isn't really necessary with plywood either, except at the seams.
    Sounds like you're mixing methods?

3. robertgrandbois

robertgrandbois Junior Member

maybe i was not clear on my first post or maybe i am combining two methods. When i took the boat apart there was fiberglass on the outside and all the quarter knees were bolted so i assumed both were needed. My plans were to scarf all the plywood screw it on where the rub rails will cover it and nail with ring nails then fiberglass the outside then bolt the quarterknees.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I misunderstood. From what little you've written, the answer is, you bury the screws and bolts under the glass. I'm assuming they aren't bolts but flat head machine screws. Or should be. Putty the heads and glass right over them. You want to ensure the bottom is watertight.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.