aerodynamic lift/drag ratio

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by PetterM, Mar 28, 2008.

1. PetterM

PetterM Senior Member

What is a typical aerodynamic lift/drag ratio for high-speed power mono hulls? I am tying to evaluate some results that do not quite make sense.

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well, not entirely mild.

Conventional aerodynamic theory plus test results on lifting bodies would suggest that the best aerodynamic L/D of a high-speed power mono hull could not be higher than 3 or 4, and is probably a lot lower.

It depends in large part on CDo, the coefficient of profile drag (the drag due to air flow over the body at zero lift). I don't see how even the most refined high-speed power mono hull could have a CDo equal to or lower than the CDo of a lifting body. If the mono hull CDo is actually much higher (which I suspect is true), any benefit that might be gained from ground effect would be pretty much nullified.

What are the results that do not quite make sense?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.