Propeller Drawing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by James T, Nov 14, 2019.

1. James T

James T New Member

Hello,

I'm new to propeller design and currently studying further.

I have the following Data and information regarding a simple propeller design.
    upload_2019-11-15_10-25-31.png
    No. of blade Z=4
    Diameter D = 32 cm
    Expanded area ratio AE/AO = 0.60

Based on this data, I want to draw the expanded blade and outline of MAU propeller (blade section shape at r/R=0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 0.95) including the Hub. I also know the simple correlations between chord lengths and Offset relationship.

Can I do this using MicrosoftExcel? (If yes, please elaborate) Or is there another way to get this done? (without drawing it manually)

(PS: I know this is a very rookie question but so am I. Please tread lightly and my apologies if this question is on the wrong forum title. If this is being discussed already, please do guide me there. TIA!)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you only want the section, Excel will give you a fair approximation. However, if you are making a propeller, the curve will most likely have some differences with the production blades. Also, the offsets are likely perpendicular to an arbitrary plane. Unless you know what the location of the plane is, the blade shape will be distorted.

3. James T

James T New Member

To be frank, I only need the drawing of Expanded outline including Hub and blade section shape at r/R=0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 0.95 . I tried Excel but it is not possible to obtain a proper drawing of Expanded outline drawing. Is there another way/method to do this?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The expanded view is the perimeter developed into a flat plane. All you need are the measurements of the chords and the locations relative to the centerline.

5. Heimfried

Heimfried Senior Member

Sorry, I missed this part of your opening post. (I have deleted my previous post.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.